kulpy44

Delaware Beach Structures

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I keep reading in different forums how Delaware's Beaches lack structure, as compared to Northern NJ and New York beaches, and therefore don't normally fish as well, or as consistently, as beaches in the more northern states.  Does anyone know why DNREC doesn't place reef-like materials close to shore in an effort to provide more fishable locations for fisherman without boats?  With all the various construction projects going on in the vicinity, I doubt lack of materials is the issue.

25 mins ago, spinr0k said:

You bring in structure then your opening a can of worms on what that will affect.

In terms of what?  Beach erosion? or something else?

20 mins ago, Beachman22 said:

DNREC will tell u they don't have the money.

I don't doubt that for a second. It just seems kind of counter-productive as I'm sure there are contractors out there that have to pay to have large quantities of clean fill taken to a dump, when it could be put to better use.

16 hours ago, kulpy44 said:

I don't doubt that for a second. It just seems kind of counter-productive as I'm sure there are contractors out there that have to pay to have large quantities of clean fill taken to a dump, when it could be put to better use.

True, But I'm pretty sure they don't use clean fill dirt for beaches. I surf fish the DSSP often. What caused our problem is the dredging to replenish the DSSP beaches. It's the ocean, nothing will stop beach erosian, Even Jetties tumble after awhile. IRI is a good example. Besides sand bars shift on there own, one here today might not be here in 2 days.  I'm old, prior to replenishing years ago, the DSSP had plenty of structure. Tight lines.

26 mins ago, hunter123 said:

What caused our problem is the dredging to replenish the DSSP beaches...  I'm old, prior to replenishing years ago, the DSSP had plenty of structure. Tight lines.

^ Knows stuff... :)

28 mins ago, kulpy44 said:

Good point, Hunter.  Maybe we'll get lucky and have some large storms roll through and begin building similar structure again.

Kulpy, Look at it this way, We are all even regardless of fishing knowledge surf fishing flat beaches. There are some really great post on here about reading a beach where to set up for surf fishing. There is a lot of great info from forum members on here. I have been surf fishing for 61 years, I still learn from the forum members on here. You can find on here what you want to learn. Tight lines.

I can remember as a kid in the mid to late 70s swimming out to sand bars to play and skim board.   Fishing the cuts and troughs too.  Was a lot more structure then.

Does anyone know how the beach replenishment projects work?  I wonder why they couldn't essentially make "new structure" i.e. troughs, cuts, etc.in the areas where they are getting their source sand that they then pump onto the beaches?  

They have a barge a ways out offshore that pumps sand via a tube to the beach, then bulldozers spread it out.

This will give you an idea of how far out they are: