JTR

San Diego

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

So my brother is moving out to San Diego next month. We’ve both got extensive experience in the north and south east, but fishing the west coast is a completely foreign concept. What kind of opportunities exist from shore in that area?

I could be mistaken but think Midnight pass and Norcalkat are familiar with SD.  Most that post are located central coast north. 

I am from socal LA area. Was hoping one of the SD guys would post, but here goes. Surf wise, we are a mostly light line fishery with some exceptions. Primary surf species are going to be Barred surf perch, CA halibut, Corbina, yellow fin croaker. You can find calico bass near rocky structure beaches. There is some heavy bait and wait fishing for leopard sharks and bat rays. Soupfin and seven gill sharks will also make an occasional appearance. A normal light duty setup would consist of a 8.5 to 9.5 ft salmon steelhead rod / a 2500-3500 sized spinning reel and 6-10 lb mono or 10-20lb braid. Commonly used rigs for bait would be a standard c-rig with sand crab or gulp bait, 2 inch sandworm being popular and affectionately known as perch “crack”. Lure wise 1/2 to 3/4 spoons such as kastmaster and smaller jerkbaits are popular. Most popular jerk bait is the luckycraft Flash minnow 110 in various colors. 

You also have fishing in some of the harbors for spotted bay bass and ca halibut. 

I agree with pretty much everything Fishjerk said. I fish mostly in north Orange or south LA Countys but do get down to San Diego occasionally. There are spotfin croaker to catch and bonefish and corvina in the SD bays…. 
Butch

6 hours ago, Fishjerk said:

If Butch agrees with me I must have said it right. 

I don’t know about that. But with my limited knowledge and skills what you said sounds like great advice.  

7 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Just to add

Good bonito fishing, too.

Casting bubble with bonito fly between 2" and 48" behind

I'd certainly love to bump into some Bonito in the San Diego area from land.

7 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Take a daily ferry to Catalina and enjoy.

Are you saying there's good fishing from land on Catalina Island? Bonito?

JD

41 mins ago, jjdbike said:

I'd certainly love to bump into some Bonito in the San Diego area from land.

Get out of the bay and hit ocean's piers.

Used to be very good fishing around Sea Word

42 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Are you saying there's good fishing from land on Catalina Island? Bonito?

JD

I do not know how it is now but around 20 years ago I had a great time on Catalina with bonitos.

I’m more of a sand guy, but some of the piers can really produce bonito on occasion.  There have been some very large ones caught off shore this year. 

On 8/2/2021 at 10:28 PM, moocks said:

Anything you can imagine, from cocaine bundles to gay nude beaches. Welcome to the land of fruits and nuts lol

Oh, and moocks..Play nice. ;) …

Butch

On 8/4/2021 at 9:35 PM, Fishjerk said:

I am from socal LA area. Was hoping one of the SD guys would post, but here goes. Surf wise, we are a mostly light line fishery with some exceptions. Primary surf species are going to be Barred surf perch, CA halibut, Corbina, yellow fin croaker. You can find calico bass near rocky structure beaches. There is some heavy bait and wait fishing for leopard sharks and bat rays. Soupfin and seven gill sharks will also make an occasional appearance. A normal light duty setup would consist of a 8.5 to 9.5 ft salmon steelhead rod / a 2500-3500 sized spinning reel and 6-10 lb mono or 10-20lb braid. Commonly used rigs for bait would be a standard c-rig with sand crab or gulp bait, 2 inch sandworm being popular and affectionately known as perch “crack”. Lure wise 1/2 to 3/4 spoons such as kastmaster and smaller jerkbaits are popular. Most popular jerk bait is the luckycraft Flash minnow 110 in various colors. 

You also have fishing in some of the harbors for spotted bay bass and ca halibut. 

Heading out from the DelMarVa area to visit my Mom in La Jolla.  I'm going to hit the surf for a few fishing sessions.  Thanks for the advice.

I had a question for the group here, specifically related to BSP (Barred Surf Perch) in LA/OC waters.  I understand they are mainly a winter/spring catch and based on my logs, last caught at end of June and none since.  Also read studies that say they do not migrate and tend to stay within just a few mile perimeter.  Question is, do they spend their summer/fall in deeper water or where do they go and what do they eat during this time of year?  I know the Central Coast guys are catching them like crazy during summer but not true for us in SoCal.  Wanted to better understand why.  Thanks for any insight!

20 hours ago, Craig Gullickson said:

I had a question for the group here, specifically related to BSP (Barred Surf Perch) in LA/OC waters.  I understand they are mainly a winter/spring catch and based on my logs, last caught at end of June and none since.  Also read studies that say they do not migrate and tend to stay within just a few mile perimeter.  Question is, do they spend their summer/fall in deeper water or where do they go and what do they eat during this time of year?  I know the Central Coast guys are catching them like crazy during summer but not true for us in SoCal.  Wanted to better understand why.  Thanks for any insight!

I'm not sure of the answer to this question, but the perch are still caught in the other times of the year, but the larger breeding fish are more prevalent in the winter/spring... Maybe they just seek out cooler local water?... I fish those areas you mentioned almost exclusively, and have seen a decline in quantity and quality over the last few years... A couple of years ago we had nearly no sand crabs for the whole year, and the perch were hardly caught at that time, but they seem to be making a comeback... But before that time I've had nearly wide open fishing on many occasions, but not recently....

Butch