541Wiant

End of season gear cleaning tips

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hello all,

My saltwater season is coming to an end soon and I was wondering what the best way to clean reels, poles, lures, ext. Was. I have a Penn Fierce 3 that I got last August and it started getting squirrely on this trip. What oils/lube work the best for reels? 

Thanks

Ben 

Light soapy water for rods and waders. Lures I never bother cleaning only need to change hooks on them. Penn reel oil and grease is sufficient enough for your Fierce 3. Penns are very easy to take apart just make sure to have the schematics open on your computer and laptop as you take it apart to make sure everything is in place. I usually just clean off the gears with alcohol and reassemble them with the same amount of grease the factory put in. If you're stuck then there are plenty of youtube videos that go over taking apart Penn reels or you can just watch scooby / tackleadvisor and just repeat his steps backwards when it comes to assembly.

Good advise. Also, rods ,inspect them for damage, check wraps, guides with a q tip , rub around the inside of all your guide's. I even put a coat of wax on the rods. Reels take apart take out old grease and lube with new grease, oil bearings, and line roller. Put reel back together and clean with a rag. Surf gear is like anything else. you take care of it, it will take care of you.Tight lines. Oh, if your useing Mono, strip old line off the reel before mainenance. Put new line on when you start new season. My season pretty much runs all year. 

On YouTube check out 2nd Chance Tackle. He probably has a video on your reel.   

Cleaning reels I use WD40, a toothbrush and a rag or two.  

For lube I use Penn grease & oil.  

Don't forget the drags!  Most of my reels use the white telfon waahers, so I don't lube them. But I've read alot of folks recommend Cals (or is it Kals?) grease for the drags.  

Also trying Superlube on one reel.  So far so good, but haven't used it outside that one reel.  

Tighten the drags, rinse/brush well, especially nooks, pivots, and around handle knobs. Completely back off the drags before the long winter sleep.

8 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

On YouTube check out 2nd Chance Tackle. He probably has a video on your reel. 

Second the motion on videos from Dennis @ 2nd Chance Tackle... baby steps through servicing just about every reel.

I'm a Penn man myself and if you are really getting into fishing you will quickly ditch your Fierce 3 for a Spinfisher or Slammer.  Ultimately they look identical inside and once you learn to service one, you can service them all and the Spinfisher and Slammer are simply made with more expensive and durable parts and offer a bit more water resistance ( not waterproof!!! )

For my rods I always wipe them down with Lemon Pledge spray at the end of the season.

I take Remington oil rags and wipe it along the guides. Seems to be working well as most of my rods are 30 years old.

For lures that have very very slightly rusted split rings i usually give them a squirt of CLP before I store them also.