luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - August 2021

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Catskill John said:

Point of interest..... read on the main board that someone caught a cobia in Massachusetts while fluke fishing  :eek:

That was in New Jersey. Someone cropped the lighthouse that was in the original pic

23 hours ago, hunter123 said:

AI, VA fished the beach this morning, early am to 11:30. Caught a lot of spot, I caught so many I'm still seeing spots. All on Fbbw's. I released all the spot except 2, there heads went on the 11' 3-8 rod. No bites. No Whiteing. I didn't keep the spot for eating, If I remeber right , they didn't taste that good when I tried them. Any one use them in fish Taco's ? Might get rained out tomorrow , plus winds over 20 mph. But I'll hit tge beach Thursday early.

Spots are good eating but they have to be jumbos to be worth the effort.  In the 8"+ range.  The meat doesn't freeze well so you need to fillet them the same day they are caught for the best results.  Otherwise it kind of falls apart while filleting.  Not easy filleting 8" fish with a giant head and there's not that much fillet meat but it's very mild in taste.  Definitely needs some seasoning but makes a nice fish taco.

1 hour ago, rwilliamsjr26 said:

Interesting article on Menhaden Fish Kill on Assateague Island VA. 'Fish kill': Why are so many fish dying and washing ashore on Assateague Island? | WJLA

I have been fishing since last Monday, I haven't seen any dead fish washing ashore at the North OSV. South OSV is closed due to the Plovers.  Must be in some shallow water back bay.

Thursday, Surf fishing Assateague VA. Spot , and more spot, and one croaker. Croaker was nice size. No bites on the 11' rod soaking spot heads.  Night fishing , there were a few sharks cought. Wind was chitty sse. See how it is tomorrow. Tight lines.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, luckyOC said:

SSE is never chitty :howdy:

It was chitty on A.I.VA. waves were huge in the am. But I still caught fish. Wind was coming from the beach in the morning, I'll fish in any wind. sse depends on what beach your fishing from. tomorrow it's a se wind.Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

from the beach or to the beach from the ocean?  AI VA SE is in your face off the water... SSE is off the water coming from your right slightly, facing the ocean....

Here is a real time history of KM29 from today, when i saw that, i thought that you are explaining where the wind heading to, not coming from....

Capture.JPG.384bc4033fbe428bb6048402d5d23063.JPG

18 hours ago, luckyOC said:

from the beach or to the beach from the ocean?  AI VA SE is in your face off the water... SSE is off the water coming from your right slightly, facing the ocean....

Here is a real time history of KM29 from today, when i saw that, i thought that you are explaining where the wind heading to, not coming from....

Capture.JPG.384bc4033fbe428bb6048402d5d23063.JPG

Your right,  Thanks , for making clear. To me it can get confusing. But today was nice, still only spot, I'm having a lot of taco's.

17 hours ago, hunter123 said:

Your right,  Thanks , for making clear. To me it can get confusing. But today was nice, still only spot, I'm having a lot of taco's.

Hunter,  when you headed back?  Here now thru next Sat.  When the water cleared yesterday for a half hour the flatties were wanting to play.

I'm in a tan Tacoma.

J

Posted (edited) · Report post

25 mins ago, JaseB said:

Hunter,  when you headed back?  Here now thru next Sat.  When the water cleared yesterday for a half hour the flatties were wanting to play.

I'm in a tan Tacoma.

J

Yes, I saw 2 tan Taco's during the week, one had a scoop on the hood. Young man was driving the scooped hood Taco. I was in a 2012 Black Jeep Liberty set up for surf fishing. Two weeks ago I brought my flounder surf rod, this trip I didn't. I bought a new rod and wanted to get use to it. But my 2 Tica's to 3 oz were hot. Wich Taco were you in.  I'm leaving tomorrow Sunday. Today , no fishing, I need a rest and eat my fish Taco's lol.Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

1 hour ago, hunter123 said:

Yes, I saw 2 tan Taco's during the week, one had a scoop on the hood. Young man was driving the scooped hood Taco. I was in a 2012 Black Jeep Liberty set up for surf fishing. Two weeks ago I brought my flounder surf rod, this trip I didn't. I bought a new rod and wanted to get use to it. But my 2 Tica's to 3 oz were hot. Wich Taco were you in.  I'm leaving tomorrow Sunday. Today , no fishing, I need a rest and eat my fish Taco's lol.Tight lines.

Non scooped taco.  The one that pulled the guy in a highlander out at the entrance.   Two black jeeps too, couldn't keep them straight!

Safe travels and enjoy those tacos!

"  The meat doesn't freeze well so you need to fillet them the same day they are caught for the best results. "  

this is true , they don't freeze well...2 things I found that help : sprinkle  kosher salt on the whole fish , then double freezer bag , try to get most of the air out...

2nd is fill an old milk carton or other disposable container with tap water , submerge the whole fish -making sure it is completely covered in water...Freeze ...

the 2nd is a bit of a pain...but works well...you just have to leave plenty of time for the thaw-out.....HTH