DutchGFX

Lures when schoolies busting on small bunker at last light/night

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

All,

I've recently found a spot near me where I noticed some schoolies busting on small bunker at last light and early night. I tried throwing a bone spook but they didn't hit it. Was having some trouble swimming it nicely at times with my 11ft rod, but I think I had enough decent retrieves in there. It's not a blitz per se, but there are definitely bunker jumping here and there, and I don’t think they would be jumping if bass weren't eating them.

Any ideas? I have a decent amount of lures, but as you all know, I never seem to have what i need.. 

Thanks all!

Edited by DutchGFX

10 mins ago, Callmefish said:

Small needle or glide bait on top, slow retrieve. Just enough to get a small wake. Almost deadstick it.

Any particular glide bait? I dont know if I've fished any. Assume you slowly crank it in?

7 mins ago, DutchGFX said:

Any particular glide bait? I dont know if I've fished any. Assume you slowly crank it in?

Not really no, I have caught on every glidebait i own, because I blindly bought one and fished with it until I figured out how to work them. Buy one and make that your only plug for a trip.

deadsticking means literally doing nothing. Almost dead sticking is almost doing nothing.

I can pretty much entice a hit on a glidebait when nobody and no lure is catching.

but you got to figure them out. A million and one ways to fish them

25 mins ago, t_man7 said:

Try a BM Lil’ Guy.

I find Tactical Angler Crossover to work great in the scenario you described; Even after sunset.

The beach master stuff seems hard to find :(

Crossover Stalker looks decent, ill probably give it a go

Some type of small suspending stick bait that you can twitch once or twice, then let sit still for a moment.  Rapala X Rap for example. But I say that reluctantly since I'm not a big fan of throwing double treble hooks at schoolie stripers. You could probably work a small unweighted soft plastic in a similar fashion

Posted (edited) · Report post

Maybe the lure selection wasn't the problem and going with your assumption that the fish were feeding. You mentioned you were using an 11' rod. Most but not all guys position the butt between their legs (crotch) on a 11' rod which automatically (likely) puts the rod tip high. This causes a totally different angle (than a rod held under the forearm) and therefore action to whatever plugs you're using. I've seen that make the difference between two guys standing next to each other on multiple occasions over the years. Just a point to consider the next time you find yourself in a similar situation.

Edited by SC

15' long 8# to 12# leader tied directly to a bell-shaped Lure Clip (Catch-All) or an egg clip & a Charlie Graves Peanut Bunker or 1-W, use a steady, slower retrieve. AOK Tackle P-Nut jigs would be my #2 but only if I didn't have a Charlie Graves Tin handy. 

A 3/4 oz Crippled Herring will work consistently also. 

If you need a slower retrieve or are fearful of getting hung up,  you can also use a Little Cleo (rig it with a 1/0 VMC In- Line Hook).

Out front, with waves or a little water depth, Point Wilson Anchovy Darts or Iron Candy Bullets also work well, as do Hogy Peanut lures. 

Very small paddle tails are another option. Try chartreuse. 

What I use for just about everything. A tin.  Only thing that changes is size & shape. 

Short & fat or long and skinny.  Whatever bait is present dictates what I grab.