hunter123

New rod fever

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a heaver, I also have an Okuma longtitude 11' 3 to 8 oz spinning rod. It's ok , but feels a little like a broom stick. I'm thinking of getting another rod 3 to 8 oz 11' . A rod with more feel and can cast better. I'm thinking spinning , but I do love conventional rods and reels. I can cast them well. I'll use it for chunking and soaking bait. Looked at a Mojo 11' rod rated to what I want, but heard there not all that good , plus ther made for braid only. I use Mono. Thanks all. I'll be hitting Capt Steve's B & T in Chincoteague to look . 

Edited by hunter123

I think Mojos get kind of a bad rap.

I would bet that they are the top selling surf rod in there price range.

Probably outsell every other surf rod.

Good warranty that is actually easy to use.

I have a couple and even though I can’t pendulum cast my buddy can bomb with this rod. My friend has $500 rods and still gives it a thumbs up.:howdy:

Thanks, I do like the Mojo, looks good . But will the 11' conventional 3 - 8 oz still have to use braid like on the Mojo spinning rod, I think they said the giudes on the spinner were set up for braid only. I'm leaning toward a conventional.

No expert but a conventional is feeding line straight out thru the guides.

I would think mono would feed fine.

Not an issue imho.

You're a fan of Star rods and they have 11' spinning models in all of their surf lines (VPR - Paraflex - Stellar - Aerial) that might be worth a look...

Hey Hunter, I have the 11ft. mojo 3-8, in spinning.  Its a great rod!  You’ll be ok casting with mono too.  One thing I have to say, I wouldn’t throw 8 oz. with this rod. The rod rating is more like a 2-5.  5oz. and a small bait is the max I would throw with this rod. The rod has a moderate, but crisp throw. It’s very light and easy to fish for an 11 footer. I prefer it over some of my much more expensive rods. Good luck with the purchase.  

You may take a look at the Fiblinks rods.

Well worth for the money, less than $70.

I have a 13' Sapphire, 50/50 two piece rod,  rated 4-8 oz that serve me very, very nice.

I do not throw anything heavier than 4 oz with small bait but while was practicing casts, it handle well 6 oz and small baits

They have same rods in 11' and 9' length.

When throwing 8 and a chuck it’s more like a lob. But if using in that 3oz-5oz range it will launch. The quality had sloppy epoxy around the guides and in front of the seat became loose. ( a nut) Also the thing that covers the bottom ferrel fell inside the blank. Still operative but thought I’d mention.  The ones in the tackle store dont have epoxy dropping off the guides so that was nice to see. Mine was an online purchase about 3-5 years ago. Sensitive tip I was catching kingfish with it and a Spheros 5000.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ive got 4 mojo surfs and a few other mojo bass/inshores. Love them all and the warranty the one time i had to use it was extremely easy to use. 

I have the 11' 3-8 spinning and find it handles heavy loads extremely well. Ive been using it beach sharking the last few weeks and can cast 6 ounce weights plus a pretty sizeable chunk with ease. The water was really ripping one night and i clipped on 9 ounces plus bait and was still able to make a pretty decent lob cast. Definitely more than its meant for but still doable. Wasnt worried about it snapping or anything it didnt feel like it was near that point at all

Its really impressed me when it comes to what its capable of throwing. I completely disagree with the other guy saying it more of a 2-5 rod. Its main purpose is my inlet fishing, which ive thrown mega shads (probably 1-2 ounces alone) on a 4 ounce jig head and again it handled it as well as i could ask for. Felt very comfortable throwing that 5-6 ounce combination 

Edited by Mlima5

Thanks all. I have a few conv setups now, for a heaver I use a Penn Battalion 12' 4 -10 0z. I use a Penn 990 mag on her. I'm going to a Fathom 25SD for it. I just don't like the stiffness on the Okuma 11' .  I do have an older St croix 10' graflight 4 - 10 oz. Rod is stillgreat to fish with. I use a Penn Fathon 15  ii Sd on her. I'll look at all the rods mentioned. Thanks again. Now today , Jeeps loaded, I'm heading to Chincoteague VA for a week of surf fishing on Assateague VA. Thanks agsin, Tight lines. 

I'm in Chincoteague. I stoped in at Capt Steves B&T. I explained to Jimmy what I wanted. I left with a Star VPR 11' 3-8 oz spinning rod. He knocked a little off the price. Rod is super lite, I'll see how she doe's in the am. Some guy's caught  some red drum in the surf yesterday. You know how that go's, You should have been here yesterday. lol.