Fluking with a Conventional

Rate this topic

fishguy62

When i used to Fluke years ago, I never though about the drag. It's Fluking. But they have weak mouths so ya wants to set the hook gently. About the thumb thing, if ya using a conventional reel, the thumb automatically sets on the spool when setting a hook. Well mine does anyways. :howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

4 hours ago, Sam3631 said:

What kind of rod do you pair with the Komodo?  I bought a used Lexa and don't know what to put it in for party boat bottom fishing in NJ.

Since I have to travel when doing all this kind of fishing I like 50/50 2 piece rods; specifically musky rods. Find yourself a good MH to H musky rod and it will pair perfectly with the Lexa and function well while on a party boat bottom fishing or when casting plugs from jetties and piers. Those Lexas are beasts.

That said I use a MH 9ft Tackle Industries musky rod which can be had in a 50/50 2-piece configuration, telescopic, and 1-piece. The rod is versatile (I use it to cast 1oz to 6oz lures), light for its power, enough back bone to handle 16oz vertical in 200ft of water, and sensitive enough to feel a hit from a 5in grouper at 200ft, let alone a 20in plus grouper in 50ft. I have caught countless snapper, grouper, stingray, blackfish, and sharks under 5ft with the mentioned rod and a Komodo.

Most party boat rods are 5ft to 7ft, I have found the the 9ft length helps keep me out of the fray of other's lines too; even when shoulder to shoulder.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

1 hour ago, jimmy z said:

When i used to Fluke years ago, I never though about the drag. It's Fluking. But they have weak mouths so ya wants to set the hook gently. About the thumb thing, if ya using a conventional reel, the thumb automatically sets on the spool when setting a hook. Well mine does anyways. :howdy:

I was thinking the same thing, but my gut told me he was using some kind of baitcaster. The big bait casters are awesome when bottom fishing due to the thumbbar and automatic spool engagement 

Personally, when bottom fishing vertically with bait I prefer circle hooks anyways. No hook setting involved; feel the bite and crank up fast= fish on.

On party boats I run barbless circles too, faster when getting the fish off, in the bucket, and bait back to the bottom.

Depends to some extent on what sort of fishing I'm doing; less need for thumb when I'm jigging, although I often use it out of habit.

But when bait fishing, particularly with large baits, my thumb is my direct contact with the line, the bait and so the fish, so I'm probably fishing with the reel out of gear to give me the greatest possible feel for what's going on, and to make it easy to tease the fish if it has to be coaxed into taking the bait.  So yes, in that sort of situation I will clamp my thumb down on the spool to set the hook, then put the reel into gear to bring the fish in.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams