SteveZ

Shop Vac

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

My shop vac sucks...but not very well.  Kindly recommend a 5 gal wheeled vac that'll do a better job.  Thanks!

In my shop we rely on dustless sanding daily.

It is not uncommon at times for a vac / vacs to run the majority of the work day.

I was a big fan of FEIN and still have several in different sizes. However they’ve become quite pricey and IMO, they keep trying to reinvent the wheel.

Over the last couple of years, I have replaced and added to with FEESTOOL.

I believe that their mini sells in the mid $300 range. We run the heck out of them and so far so good. Unfortunately I got stuck with paying $500+ for the same aforementioned vac., the reason being that they decided to install blue tooth within…..

Glad they eliminated that brainstorm and went back to basics for $300 +-.

For vacuuming up liquid eg; water, I bought a few HD bucket bosses that snap onto 5 gallon buckets. They’re cheap enough to toss and replace if need be.

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck with your quest for a new vac.

Go bigger and get the 10 gallon dewalt from Costco. Mine was $79 on sale and it sucks good. :th:

I am loving the little $85 RIDGID 4 Gallon 5.0-Peak HP I got last year. You can drag it by the hose and it doesn't fall over.  I hated schlepping around a 10 gal or a poorly rolling 5 gal. I use bags inside, and if there's a lot of dust or dry crap I use a cyclone bucket with it. Got the cyclone on Amazon for like $30 on bolted it on a joint compound bucket.

dust-deputy-deluxe-a-assembled-front_283

A round exhaust port that accepts a hose is a plus. Fine dust, woodstove soot etc. that bypasses the filter can be discharged via hose outdoors.

This thing is great. With the fine drywall dust filter, even the finest dust stays in the vac. Great suction.

Screenshot_20210801-145512_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, Chunkah said:

This thing is great. With the fine drywall dust filter, even the finest dust stays in the vac. Great suction.

That's the one I have.

Thanks, guys.  Mostly grass clippings tracked in, tags snipped off mono, dust bunnies, etc all on concrete.  I think the rigid will do fine. 

On 7/31/2021 at 1:54 PM, ted527 said:

Go bigger and get the 10 gallon dewalt from Costco. Mine was $79 on sale and it sucks good. :th:

I got that one too, works well

On 8/6/2021 at 7:05 PM, SteveZ said:

Got the 4 gal Ridgid today...exactly what I needed.  This thing sucks big time.  Thanks!

My favorite mod on my shop vacs has been replacing the anemic cord with a thicker gauge cord. Makes the motor happier.

On 8/1/2021 at 2:58 PM, Chunkah said:

I picked up its 12gal big brother a little while ago and am happy with it. It’s seen sawdust, drywall mud dust and grout dust, along with crayon bits and pulverized cheezits in the vehicles and I have no complaints

On 8/6/2021 at 7:05 PM, SteveZ said:

Got the 4 gal Ridgid today...exactly what I needed.  This thing sucks big time.  Thanks!

They sell aftermarket dust bags online which are great, you just toss the bag and the filter stays clean. Good for fine dust