RAW

Schoolies in 6-12" of water, fish were same size!

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Went back to a fly rod and sand eel pattern, same as pic. this morning, in a marsh drainage ditch that had birds working. It took longer to get thru muck, but very small stripers were there, 3 landed, 10-13" . At least there was a tug and fish lips, not mention ticks on my waders:niffty:I doubt I will go there again, too much muck, bugs, etc. even a Perdomo Alfresco couldn't chase away the flies.:rav: I actually had jogger ask  if I needed help getting out of roadside ditch. Probably looked much older than I felt.  :sarc:

IMG_2016.jpg

Reminds me of a certain small river/marsh system in the lower Kennebec drainage.

I made the mistake of bushwhacking through the marsh to try to get upriver. The mud was like quicksand, it was 100 F, 100% humidity, the worst saltmarsh mosquito swarm known to man. It was a Death March. If I tried it today I might literally die.

The funniest part; when I finally busted out of the marsh, I walked right into a cluster of old naked fat guys nude sun bathing along the river. Rather than brave the marsh again, I was forced to walk downriver past the old fat naked guys.

The funny part is, I came out of the marsh with a thick black cloud of saltmarsh mosquitos hot on my trail. When I walked past the nude sunbathers, my mosquito swarm left me for much better forage.

I could hear them slapping and cursing me as I walked away.

I seem to remember 12 inch stripers holding in bend pools of the tiny tidal river.

I drive by this place to get to other spots, normally ever fish after 1st week in June. Took longer to clean mud caked gear than I fished:rav:

34 mins ago, mikez2 said:

The funniest part; when I finally busted out of the marsh, I walked right into a cluster of old naked fat guys nude sun bathing along the river. Rather than brave the marsh again, I was forced to walk downriver past the old fat naked guys.

I have to thank you for that indelible image burned into my brain  :fire:

Just now, Roccus7 said:

I have to thank you for that indelible image burned into my brain  :fire:

You know, sadly, because I'm a guy who likes bushwhacking and exploring the dunes, it's an image I've accidentally burned into my own brain on a number of occasions. 

For some reason, practitioners of the "Alternative Lifestyle", particularly old heavy males, like hanging around in the dunes

It's happened often enough, I don't let my kid wander back there.