TopStriperAngler

Advise Me On My "What About Bob"-type Situation

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

We have a egg-shaped guy here--youngish retiree--who was farted out of hell about five years ago and has been cruising the area shoreline incessantly ever since. He goes on long walks every day (due to his egg shape-induced diabetes) along the beaches and shore but also drives to fishing spots just to check them. If he sees you with a fishing pole he yells "Stripahs?" and if you respond he comes over for a nice long conversation unless you are rude to him in which case he'll leave after five or ten minutes. 

I have never ever ever seen him fishing. I do know that he has a small network that includes two very hardcore retirees who love to pound a spot within a spot for hours. He likes to give useless advice. He is the definition of a pest. He's around a lot but unpredictable so impossible to avoid. It also seems like when you are trying to avoid him he tends to show up as if farted out of hell. One of his favorite questions is, "Where are you parked?" 

He has a dark side--surveillance...watching people fish and following people. I've had him show up at a totally out of the way spot in his car a minute after me. And if you are rude to him he'll do something to make you feel really uncomfortable like either circling back around and eyeballing you from a distance or maybe the next time he sees you he'll just sit down behind you but look away if you turn around. Then you see him the next year and he's back to being a friendly pest trying to start a conversation. 

He seems to think I really like him but I've basically loathed him since that time he trailed me in his car to my car which I had parked around the block specifically to try to prevent him from coming out to talk to me as I fished a somewhat secret spot. That was about three weeks after he was farted out of hell early on the morning I met him!

In light of all this, what is the wisest way to get this guy to just view me as someone not worth talking to? I tried being standoffish beyond the point of rudeness. That only works for a season. He's back in the fall or spring. 

The danger involved is that he could technically make life very unpleasant for me if he wanted to as he has shown the inclination to be vindictive when rebuffed and he's like omnipresent. Then on the human side, I am not looking to get in the way way of his enjoyment of local walking areas which is important for his health.

I just want him to stop getting in the way of my own enjoyment of those areas. I guess there's no hope of having Hell swallow him back up and he'd probably just get farted back out again the minute you thought about how glad you were he was gone.    

Edited by TopStriperAngler

Not so much scared of the guy but of what he might do to my fishing. He's not going away. But if he leave me alone I'm good. If he does the surveillance thing, things could get unpleasant for me, stressful. Fishing is supposed to be fun. He also could and probably would start broadcasting some spots--he's shown up in new areas lately for him.   

One good thing is he seems to be part idiot so if you wear gaiter and glasses he doesn't seem to know who it is and you can just not answer him and he'll go away even sooner. He can't recognize voices apparently or when he is unwelcome for that matter. 

Edited by TopStriperAngler

Next time he shows up ask him if anybody else is catching. Of course he'll say yes to appear knowledgeable then ask him to help carry your stuff and show where to go. 

Get his tag number off his car. Call dnr, tell them he's f##king up your fishing. Or get a restraing order from the Ploice dept. Make it sound like the stalking is getting worse and your afraid for your safety. I'm sure when the rangers and the police talk to him , they will also think he's nuts.

Edited by hunter123

I’d start by being straight up, and very firm/clear with him.

Being rude and standoffish is passive aggressive and skirts around the point.

Its even more ineffective with people who have autism-spectrum disorder, which it sounds like this guy may have a minor form of, or other similar cognitive disability. Normal people just don’t do what this guy

is doing.

He can’t pick up on social cues and others emotions, becomes hyper-focused on very specific interests, displays inappropriate behavior, etc. 

You could also go old school and leave a simple, clear and concise letter that explains how his behavior makes you feel. Like if you

were talking to a kid.

Find out what other things he does, then ask him how he would feel if you did the same thing to him...use your words to describe exactly what bugs you about his behavior because obviously he does not recognize social cues.

It's odd how we generally avoid telling people what we don't like about them.

Apologize and tell him you just tested positive for COVID.  Through in a few hacks and coughs his way for effect.

Edited by Jeff270