cityevader

Stupid Gulp question...circle hooks

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

How to get it onto the hook?! Sandworms, that is. The angled point sure won't allow a worm to slide on.

I want circle hooks due to the frequency of Barred Surf Perch swallowing J-hooks. They sure peck peck peck at bait, making it hard to tell when they actually eat it.

I'll try the hammer method. Thing is, the point angle really tears it's way through the worm and i believe it'll come off much faster.

Mosquito hook is described as "self setting" yet is not a circle hook...how does it self set?

I tried the "hammer hook" method and as expected more bait was lost than with the J-hook (particularly during a re-cast right after a nibble), BUT when half a worm gets stolen off a J-hook, the half still on the hook gets discarded anyhow. While re-baiting is vastly increased,  the overall use of product isn't that much more, as 1" strips could be used on the circle hook versus 2" on the J.

Funny thing is, i still killed a couple Perch while de-hooking with the circle swallowed into the gills).

I generally just use the mosquito hook and still hammer hook it. I found hammer hooking reduced but did not eliminate deep hooking. The fact that more of the worm was hanging off the hook generally means the hook does not end up as deep in the mouth as when you thread it on the standard j hook. I never really cared for the circle hooks with surf perch as the circle is even harder to remove when deep hooked. Also if you aren’t using a set now, forceps work better at removing deep hooks than needle nose pliers as being much thinner it’s easier to get into their mouth and still see what your doing.