ManInCharge247

Epoxy bubbles

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I’ve been getting small bubbles in epoxy when applying to lures. It’s inconsistent where I won’t have any issues on one batch and every lure will be affected on the next. I use envirotex lite 2 part epoxy and black haired epoxy brushes. Is there a recommendation on epoxy, brush or mixing issues that might help me single out the culprit. Thank you

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mixing slower can help reduce the amount of bubbles.  But I would use some sort of carbon dioxide to pop bubbles, whether it be your breath through a straw, or the exhaust from a Mini Torch.

Edited by t_man7

11 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Mixing slower can help reduce the amount of bubbles.  But I would use some sort of carbon dioxide to pop bubbles, whether it be your breath through a straw, or the exhaust from a Mini Torch.

Got it. Thank you

When working with epoxy in the past, when I had to be sure there would be no bubbles I would mix it, then put it in a vacuum chamber for a few min, it would bubble, sucking out every bit of air out...

7 mins ago, Antagonizer said:

I use a heat gun to pop any bubbles after putting down coats.    

I do the same thing Antagonizer. One thing I've noticed though is, when I heated the etex it flows out like glass. After I do 4 plugs ( my spinners capacity ) I always go back and look for voids, inevitably finding a few. I'll re-touch those spots, but if I heat the plug a second time, the finish will come out orange peeled. It's strange because not much time elapses between the two heatings.....maybe 10 minutes max. But this has happened pretty consistently lately. I made a beautiful parrot Danny for T-man and F'd up the finish by doing that second heating.....( all good though, it's in my bag now !  )  Now I just glob the stuff on, let it flow, go back, hit the misses,  then do just ONE  heat treatment and they come out like glass. Have you experienced any orange peel with multiple heatings ? Just curious. I'll try post a pic a little later.

47 mins ago, Mandoborg said:

I do the same thing Antagonizer. One thing I've noticed though is, when I heated the etex it flows out like glass. After I do 4 plugs ( my spinners capacity ) I always go back and look for voids, inevitably finding a few. I'll re-touch those spots, but if I heat the plug a second time, the finish will come out orange peeled. It's strange because not much time elapses between the two heatings.....maybe 10 minutes max. But this has happened pretty consistently lately. I made a beautiful parrot Danny for T-man and F'd up the finish by doing that second heating.....( all good though, it's in my bag now !  )  Now I just glob the stuff on, let it flow, go back, hit the misses,  then do just ONE  heat treatment and they come out like glass. Have you experienced any orange peel with multiple heatings ? Just curious. I'll try post a pic a little later.

I’ve had success going heavy with the epoxy as well and then just letting the excess drip off. What kind of brushes do you use?

Posted (edited) · Report post

55 mins ago, ManInCharge247 said:

I’ve had success going heavy with the epoxy as well and then just letting the excess drip off. What kind of brushes do you use?

I just use the usual el-cheapo acid brushes. Super glue the ferrule and never have any trouble there. Toss em out after each use.  With the spinner , the epoxy never drips.  It's that second heating to try to get the patchwork and first coat to all flow together that got me in trouble. Now I realize the patchwork is going to flow into, and blend with the surrounding area anyway w/o that second heating. stuff takes like 6 hours to set up, of course it's all going to come out nice-nice !!!    I think the first heating  was starting to 'set' the epoxy, and when I hit it that second time, some weird stuff started happening by re-softening that first coat. Either way here's the orange  peel ' two heatings ' plug, and the replacement single heated version.

Jim

pebble.jpeg

parrot plug.jpg

Edited by Mandoborg

Get yourself some rustolium matte clear .. give the plug a nice coat of it before epoxy. Will solve all your problems .. etex reacts with some colors weird and ya get that golf ball crap ...  pearls and black were always an issue for me 

23 hours ago, Mandoborg said:

I just use the usual el-cheapo acid brushes. Super glue the ferrule and never have any trouble there. Toss em out after each use.  With the spinner , the epoxy never drips.  It's that second heating to try to get the patchwork and first coat to all flow together that got me in trouble. Now I realize the patchwork is going to flow into, and blend with the surrounding area anyway w/o that second heating. stuff takes like 6 hours to set up, of course it's all going to come out nice-nice !!!    I think the first heating  was starting to 'set' the epoxy, and when I hit it that second time, some weird stuff started happening by re-softening that first coat. Either way here's the orange  peel ' two heatings ' plug, and the replacement single heated version.

Jim

pebble.jpeg

parrot plug.jpg

Wow what a difference! 

@ManInCharge247 I have to second @Wire For Fire suggestion. If you are using Etex, putting a light matte clear Rusto overcoat can be a game changer. Also, if you have bubbles, one thing you can do warm up your epoxy while mixing either in front of a heater or I like to suspend the cup in a dish of hot water while mixing (of course don't splash water in your epoxy).

Just don't overwarm it or you could speed up the cure to the point that is starts setting up before you have finished your plugs.

Of course, the old heat gun or blow on it method is tried and true.