BrianBM

Fluke from shore at night on bright full moon nights

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

The title should explain the question adequately. If it's worth doing, it'd probably be on open sand beaches.

The late Matt Ahern wrote about catching fluke at night in the Shinnecock Canal, but that water is well illuminated at night.  Never mind artificially illuminated water. What about an open beach?

Just wonderin'.

Posted (edited) · Report post

While targeting Stripers over a shallow bar I’ve gotten them on Bombers at 2am. Few days before the moon clear sky. 

Edited by XBMX

Posted (edited) · Report post

They'll come into very shallow water at night, and chase bait when there is some moonlight.

Ask an old-timer up in New England about fluke "slapping" just outside the wash,.

Edited by CWitek

ive got them at night with lights and without lights casting shallow on sandy beaches

I find that using a glow lure at night with some pro-cure helps. 

I was night fishing with a buddy last week, he got a 21 inch fluke on an eel going for bass. It was a decent size eel at that.

in years past you could catch fluke anywhere, anytime.  I honestly believe that they are close to a total collapse.  Friends on 3 different trips landed over 300 fluke with only 2 keepers, but most of the fish were bigger than 16", prime targets for a-holes with commercial licences dedicated to the extingtion of the species.