BrianBM

BKK Hooks

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

The August issue of the Fisherman is in hand, and BKK has a full page ad, and a favorable column from Matt Broderick. The particular hooks he writes about are trebles. I wonder how much longer treble hooks will be legal for bass, even on a plug, but that's a different issue. Does anyone here have experience of the BKK line of products?

They do have a line of inline single hooks that caught my eye. Inline singles are ridiculously pricy, so if BKK is trying to break into the US market, they might be cheaper than the pricey Japanese hooks I buy.

Anyway, any gossip?

The design of the BKK inlines seem odd to me. The hook point is too close to the eye which throws me off. Other than that they look like pretty solid hooks and I’d like to try them out sometime.

The Aussies on the tube all use the BKK hooks for GT and other hard fighting fish.  Might just be the brand there. Like owner here.

I’m might as well give up striped bass fishing if I can’t use treble hooks. 

Im worried the BKK will be too heavy, even heavier than the Owner ST-66.

Actually, the single in-lines look good for the lures I put them on. The higher hook point looks like it would help eliminate the dreaded hook catching on the back of thin lures like SP minnows and luckycraft flash minnows that I use in the socal surf. 

Weight is the biggest issue with BKK. They are solid hooks, but expensive. Before I would buy any BKK I would make sure you know their weights. 

A 3/0 BKK if I had to guess is over 6g. A VMC for example I believe is about 3.5g. Big difference and will definitely effect action. The 1/0 BKK Z is more the size you would want weight wise but is the treble too small? 

BKK make some of the best hooks money can buy 

Their singles are great. No clue what that other guy was talking about 

Since gossip was asked - someone from tackle shop recently talked about BKK hooks, saying they rust much less than Owners (trebles). Haven’t used any of those personally yet.

On 31/07/2021 at 0:28 PM, beatonem said:

The Aussies on the tube all use the BKK hooks for GT and other hard fighting fish.  Might just be the brand there. Like owner here.

BKK is a popular brand here (NZ). The hooks are well designed - though not always the best for the application (much depends on the lure you're fitting with hooks). BKK hooks are pretty widely available here (easy to find in shops) and usually cheaper than Japanese hooks. BKK does quite a lot of sponsorship, I think, which might explain some of the brand's popularity. BKK does not at this stage make a good assist for plugs (such as the Shout! plugging assist) or any ringed hook - like the Shout! Ringed Kudako. 

On 7/30/2021 at 8:56 PM, t_man7 said:

I’m might as well give up striped bass fishing if I can’t use treble hooks. 

Im worried the BKK will be too heavy, even heavier than the Owner ST-66.

X2