East Tide

Black Sea Bass (how to catch?)

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Going on a party boat with family in CCB in a few weeks. They apparently are catching more summer flounder than anything else, but have some BSB in the mix.

What's the best way to weed some out? Bait, bait tipped jigs, type of rig, etc?

Want to make some ceviche. 

Thanks!

Sea bass will hit the same baits as fluke. Use a popcorn rig with a weight on the bottom then a 1/2 ounce buck tail about 6” above and then a teaser about 10” above that. Use gulp swimming mullets and what ever bait the boat gives you. 
You could also try a slow pitch jig or freestyle jig depending on how fast the boat is drifting. Tip the assist hooks with some squid or fish bites. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

Sea bass will hit the same baits as fluke. Use a popcorn rig with a weight on the bottom then a 1/2 ounce buck tail about 6” above and then a teaser about 10” above that. Use gulp swimming mullets and what ever bait the boat gives you. 
You could also try a slow pitch jig or freestyle jig depending on how fast the boat is drifting. Tip the assist hooks with some squid or fish bites. 

You mean tip the bucktail and teaser with gulp or bait, right?

Doesn’t need to be complicated. Fish bait on a hi-lo rig. Clams or squid. Will need to weed through a lot of smaller fish, especially in CCB, but that gives you the best shot at catching a keeper or two in my opinion. It’s an unpopular opinion, but for most bottom fishing, while jigs are more fun to fish, bait just catches better. 

9 mins ago, East Tide said:

You mean tip the bucktail and teaser with gulp or bait, right?

Put a gulp on each and then some bait on top of that. 

9 mins ago, jmei said:

Doesn’t need to be complicated. Fish bait on a hi-lo rig. Clams or squid. Will need to weed through a lot of smaller fish, especially in CCB, but that gives you the best shot at catching a keeper or two in my opinion. It’s an unpopular opinion, but for most bottom fishing, while jigs are more fun to fish, bait just catches better. 

Using jigs helps to weed through all the tiny sea bass and scup. 

18 mins ago, z-man said:

Using jigs helps to weed through all the tiny sea bass and scup. 

Yep, if you want smalls use a hi-lo with clams, if you want bigs use bucktails with 5-7 inch plastics, or diamond jigs tipped with bait if you have no plastic.

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, nateD said:

Yep, if you want smalls use a hi-lo with clams, if you want bigs use bucktails with 5-7 inch plastics, or diamond jigs tipped with bait if you have no plastic.

That’s fine advice if you’re fishing Buzzard’s Bay or Vineyard Sound where there are BSB of mixed sizes all over the place. But if this is Cape Cod Bay proper, there aren’t enough BSB that you want to worry about culling for size. You just want to catch them period. 

Edited by jmei

5 mins ago, jmei said:

That’s fine advice if you’re fishing Buzzard’s Bay or Vineyard Sound where there are BSB of mixed sizes all over the place. But if this is Cape Cod Bay proper, there aren’t enough BSB that you want to worry about culling for size. You just want to catch them period. 

He said he wants to eat them. They need to be 15” to keep. 

4 mins ago, z-man said:

He said he wants to eat them. They need to be 15” to keep. 

Right, but if there aren’t a lot of BSB period, the advantage that jigs provide of avoiding time spent unhooking the smalls kind of goes away. Although I suppose everything eats clam and you may end up spending a look of time dehooking choggies and short cod instead. 

Anyways, even taking CCB out of the equation, I tend to think that if you’re purely trying to put meat in the boat, tough to beat bait when bottom fishing for most species (other than fluke, which is more of a visual reaction bite where something like gulp that stays on the hook better when being jigged comes into play).

ADD: And that’s coming from someone who jigs more often than not. I just acknowledge that it’s more important to me to fish a technique that I find more enjoyable (jigging) than it is to me to load up on fillets. 

Edited by jmei

For me, After the the best bites of horny sea bass are over- after about the third week of june- I’ve had best luck catching large sea bass with simple squid on a hook. During the height of that horny bite, I mostly use buck tails and teasers with large curly tail grub of some sort. During that time they’re aggressive and will bit anything that comes near their turf. The big baits helps to cull out the big boys. But in my experience, after they settle down in deeper water they may pass up a big moving target but find it hard to pass up a piece of fresh squid

coming from someone who catches seabass in ccb definitely fish high low rigs with squid. going to need to work for keepers. and 15-17 is the norm for keepers In ccb

2 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

coming from someone who catches seabass in ccb definitely fish high low rigs with squid. going to need to work for keepers. and 15-17 is the norm for keepers In ccb

What hooks do you use? Dropper loops?

17 mins ago, East Tide said:

What hooks do you use? Dropper loops?

yes dropper loops and I believe they are 1/0 or 2/0 octopus. anywhere from a #1 to a 2/0 would work 

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker