doublegregg

i typically put a little oil on line roller, and where bail pivots

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

my frequent maintenance is three in one on the line roller, and the two areas where the bail pivots on the rotor body... hopefully those terms are correct, or at least clear...  in fact, i just bought a shimano sienna, and the line roller wasn't moving when i'd run my fingernail over it... out comes the three in one.. i'm careful to wipe off all the oil with a clean rag --- especially at the line roller. a little concerned about the oil getting to the line and rotting it, especially since i do this reasonably frequently...

any suggestions?

should i uh, go to the extra bother of dismantlng the line roller and carefully applying a spot of oil directly to the inside???   then, no need for the worry of excess oil getting to my mono... but frankly, this would be kind of a pain to me, and i'd only do this -- a couple times a year, if that.

my spinning reels are all in the $100 range, , penn battles, etc..    i'm branching out currently into the sub $100 category... sienna, sedona... etc.

thanks in advance............ happy fishing!

Edited by doublegregg

Following: I've got a VR 125, and your points are the only thing I do to the reel.  except I use the 'red horror'.  

Shimano has instructions in the reel for maintenance. Maybe Penn does too? On the Shimano instructions just put the oil on the side of the line roller and let some seep inside it and then wipe off the surface. I guess it might be good to use something that would clean off the oil like WD40?

I was watching a Penn maintenance film on youtube. Guy put Penn grease on the roller , he did take the roller apart. I'll try it on one of my Penn reels. I always use Penn oil on all my roller guides. What's your opinion of useing grease?

thanks for the replies...

i get a little obsessive about things. on the one hand, want to get oil in the roller bearing. on the other, i don't want to deal with taking the thing apart, simple though it might be, and putting it back together. so i just drip some oil into the bearing, then carefully wipe it off. but i figure the excess oil may slowly seep out as the bearing spins. 

just wondering what other guys do. i would think grease would be 'stickier' than oil for that little bearing, altho grease would stay in place and last a lot longer, id' guess.... maybe i'll try it (grease) one day.

When I oil my roller bearing,I use Penn oil . When I'm on a week long surf fishing trip, I'll let the oil drip on the roller like the other member said. Then I just wipe off all the excess oil, crank the handle a few time's wipe again, oil is gone. I have done it this way for eons. I take the whole roller assembly apart when I give my reels a yearly maintanance clean up, and check, grease and lube. Some of my Penns are 40 yrs old and older.

Edited by hunter123

32 mins ago, hunter123 said:

When I oil my roller bearing,I use Penn oil . When I'm on a week long surf fishing trip, I'll let the oil drip on the roller like the other member said. Then I just wipe off all the excess oil, crank the handle a few time's wipe again, oil is gone. I have done it this way for eons. I take the whole roller assembly apart when I give my reels a yearly maintanance clean up, and check, grease and lube. Some of my Penns are 40 yrs old and older.

thanks, guys, and hunter...  i can overthink things, and just hearing what other much more experienced guys do is helpful... i'll continue as i've been doing.... and be careful to wipe the oil away thoroughly.

happy fishing...!

Edited by doublegregg

Great,  The big thing I like to do when done fishing for the day , is rinse my rod and reel, and check for damage before I fish the next day. Now go fish. Tight Lines.:howdy:

Edited by hunter123