BillHoo

"TRASH FISH" Recipe of the day

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I haven’t cooked one yet but I hear it’s good and I will do this sooner or later. 

Also, the rumor is that dogfish is decent bait for actual sharks. So, keep the meat. Put the head & tail on a shark rig and chum with the other stuff

Edited by EricDice
Chum

8 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Supposedly they use dogfish for fish n chips in the uk …

Their doggys are different thou. Smaller and have leopard like spots.   Plus they have what they call a Smooth Hound. Not sure if that's the same as our smooth dogfish. 

I like eating our dogfish. Just bleed and ice.  But I eat just about anything. :shrug:

Is Bleeding and skinning immediately the right way to reduce the ammonia.  Metabolically, Dogfish store a fair amount of urea as well.  Urea  is water soluble.  Would soaking help rectify this? 

^ i am asking and thinking out loud off of blurbs I have read and from Bio class.   I have no idea if these are actual issues in terms of flavor/eating. 

I’ve eaten many smooth dogfish.

I’ve bleed, filleted, skinned & into brine slurry immediately. Not particularly flavorful, but firm flesh. Holds up well to the grill.

For some reason I can’t imagine eating a spiny. I think they’re protected too, for some odd reason. The wrecks are loaded w/ them certain times of the year.

JD

On 7/30/2021 at 5:12 PM, EricDice said:

I haven’t cooked one yet but I hear it’s good and I will do this sooner or later. 

Also, the rumor is that dogfish is decent bait for actual sharks. So, keep the meat. Put the head & tail on a shark rig and chum with the other stuff

This is very true. Not only does it attract sharks, but it’s skin and meat are tougher/firmer than most baitfish/bluefish so it stays on the hook much better as well

On 8/9/2021 at 0:49 PM, VF96 said:

This is very true. Not only does it attract sharks, but it’s skin and meat are tougher/firmer than most baitfish/bluefish so it stays on the hook much better as well

This is a little contrary to research I recall in the 80s on how they were developing a shark repellent based on dead, rotting sharks which sharks seemed to be repulsed by.  I think they were trying to create an underwater aerosol (or dispersant).