bob_G

Good bye and good riddance Ooni pizza oven

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Good riddance to Ooni. :wave:

Should have gotten rid of it last year.  Complete waste of $$$. Had it two seasons, and I still can't make pizza.

Last night's effort was the final straw.

Pepperoni began to cook, oil from that caught the top of the pizza on fire inside the oven.  I tried to rescue it using the pizza peel, only to push it further back in the oven, causing the fire to intensify.

Last resort, reached into a 750* oven with my hand, and pulled it halfway out, burning my fingers.  Was finally able to extricate the pizza. Still on fire, and I accidentally caught my beard on fire.  Pizza stone was now on fire from the grease and cheese.  Shut off the gas, and said forget it.

Sold it to my SIL on a short sale. No mas Ooni.

Thanks, Bob. We’ve been looking at pizza ovens for the last day or three. The Ooni was on our short list, but not anymore. Thank you very much for your insight. 
We’ve got an oven that reaches 550 degrees as well as a pizza stone. If we turn the oven on an hour before baking, it gets hot enough for a cooking a decent Neapolitan. With all the money (and time) we spend making pizza with Caputo flour, San Marzano tomatoes and mozzarella di bufala, we thought about adding a decent pizza oven. I think we might just stick with what we have. Besides, we like a simpler New York style pie that’s easier to cook in the oven (or the grill) anyway. 

Which model did you have, one of the newer kind? I was looking at them a couple years ago when I think they only had 1 model. Now I see they have a few different models. I’ve always wanted a pizza oven as making pizza in my household oven sucks. 

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

Should have gotten rid of it last year.  Complete waste of $$$. Had it two seasons, and I still can't make pizza.

Pepperoni began to cook, oil from that caught the top of the pizza on fire inside the oven.  I tried to rescue it using the pizza peel, only to push it further back in the oven, causing the fire to intensify.

Last resort, reached into a 750* oven with my hand, and pulled it halfway out, burning my fingers.  Was finally able to extricate the pizza. Still on fire, and I accidentally caught my beard on fire.  Pizza stone was now on fire from the grease and cheese.  Shut off the gas, and said forget it.

You really missed an opportunity. Wear a GoPro and you would've had YouTube gold!

1 hour ago, cheech said:

They only work if you have a vowel at the end of your last name.:ginzo:

or if it ends in -nen. 

6 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'd also draw the line at getting my beard on fire, man. I saw the ads for the Ooni and filed them in the "looks like overpriced crap that barely works" folder of my noggin. A colleague of mine at work loves tinkering around with reflector ovens, and has had a lot of success with them. You can find plans for reflector ovens online and as long as you have access to some sheet metal cutting tools, it is pretty easy. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, MattieG said:

Which model did you have, one of the newer kind? I was looking at them a couple years ago when I think they only had 1 model. Now I see they have a few different models. I’ve always wanted a pizza oven as making pizza in my household oven sucks. 

We bought the Karu.  Began with the wood fired option, and after a few attempts quickly realized we should spring for the gas attachment.

The fire box for the wood model is tiny.  For some reason lump charcoal didn't work well. It had to be seasoned, dry hardwood cut into precise 4" pieces.  Often taking 45 minutes to get the wood in the tiny firebox to lite, and sufficiently heat the oven to the promised 900*. 

However, as soon as the oven reached the desired temp, the wood in the firebox was already burning out, and your temp would drop fast. 

The gas attachment worked better. But the ignition system is complicated, and needs a lot of practice to make it work as billed.  To heat the oven, it shoots two gas flames across the inside roof of the oven. So you have these two huge, blazing open flames a mere 2" from the top of your raw pizza.  At this point, any sort of oil or grease, be it olive oil, pepperoni or salami becomes an additional fuel source, often lighting the top of your pizza on fire.  Your first reaction is to grab your peel and rescue you pizza.  But in doing so, the stone inside the oven would often ignite, and burst into flames!

The whole Ooni concept was poorly thought out, but well marketed. Run, don't walk away from this product.

Edited by bob_G

Thanks for the review. I was thinking about purchasing 1 of those ovens. But the price had me thinking before I pulled the trigger. Ive been using my weber grill in the summer with a stone and has been solid performer. but I was looking for something more specific just for pizza