z-man

Lobster Prices

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen any deals on lobsters lately? I haven’t noticed any in the weekly grocery store adds. Market Basket used to always have a deal every couple of weeks. What happened?

9 mins ago, z-man said:

Has anyone seen any deals on lobsters lately? I haven’t noticed any in the weekly grocery store adds. Market Basket used to always have a deal every couple of weeks. What happened?

10$ a lb at market basket, no deals lately. 

I was going to get one the other day but got scallops instead. $24 a pound for that. 

Restaurants being open are consuming plenty of what was not needed last year. 

5 mins ago, gray gables said:

10$ a lb at market basket, no deals lately. 

I think Shaws is around $14 a pound. It’s crazy. 

and they're local.....

wonder what they're getting for them in  ,say,  a california restaurant?

Fisherman’s Market in NB has had any size firm shell for 7.77 for most of the summer, 14.25 for hard shell.  They are getting 20 for the day boat scallops. They list new market prices online every Wednesday.  The one caution that bit me once last year on the firm shells; they only had 4 pounders and up and I didn’t have a big enough pot at the time so got a couple pounds of scallops instead.  The price of clams are sky high too.

Not price-related but my nephew just lost a friend last week that died from food poisoning eating lobster. The restaurant was not using fresh lobsters (supposably)  and they found vibrio bacteria in this guy's test results. 

I used to think lobster was the safest thing on the menu at a seafood place as you know when it died but this sounds pretty scary. Would only eat them now if I could pick/see one from the tank before they cook it. ...or the more likely, cook them at home. 

9 hours ago, NHAngler said:

I was going to get one the other day but got scallops instead. $24 a pound for that. 

Restaurants being open are consuming plenty of what was not needed last year. 

Buy PEI mussels, $3.39 lb.  in fresh 10 lb bags, or shortly when things slow you can buy lobsters at the docks. Lobster guys are making less than market prices:rav:

Been eyeballing it this summer. No sales at all. Last year(or year before) S&S has them at $3.99lb and they quickly sold out.

I got some on July 4th weekend from Market Basket, $11.99lb and they were hard shell and very sweet. 

I think resuming trade with China ended the lobster glut of the last few years, and stabilized inventory and drove up prices. China loves American lobsters.

when lobster was 3.99 a lb at market basket I was questioning why I was trapping in the canal when I could just buy them. now its worth the effort with today's prices.

2 hours ago, Mainiac said:

Even Maine prices for lobster are very high. Clams are wicked expensive also.

What are you seeing for prices in Maine?

1 hour ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

when lobster was 3.99 a lb at market basket I was questioning why I was trapping in the canal when I could just buy them. now its worth the effort with today's prices.

I miss canal lobstering. :heart: