NHAngler

Bait Duty Ethics.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sabiki rigs pulling in 3-6 a swing but guest on boat only wants to use a diamond jig. Thoughts ???

Edited by NHAngler

I have no horse in your race, but what comes to mind is this: if you're really pulling 3-6 mackerel per cast, you'll have enough bait in no time, and let the dude have some fun with the diamond jig. If it's a matter of not getting enough bait in your limited time, I feel you gotta tell the guy to clip on the Sabiki. Would clipping a diamond jig onto the end of the Sabiki be an option they'd be happy with?

20 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Village Idiot until they catch a 4lb bone mixed in. :manpig:

Ha ha. Yup, those are fun. The 4lb bone that is... 

57 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

.... if you're really pulling 3-6 mackerel per cast, you'll have enough bait in no time, and let the dude have some fun with the diamond jig. If it's a matter of not getting enough bait in your limited time, I feel you gotta tell the guy to clip on the Sabiki. Would clipping a diamond jig onto the end of the Sabiki be an option they'd be happy with?

Ya, not a huge deal. I offered and he declined. The 3-6 were not every cast so it was a pile here and there. With macks, I find that you can keep the school near by having  one line always in the water following the last.

Encourage them to try the sabiki to help fill the livewell. If they aren’t feeling confident about having 8 hooks, let them be with their diamond jig. That is just a pretty good indicator that they will remain only a guest and not become a fishing partner. 

Invite any 6-10 year old kid,  that's all they want to do is catch macks lol.   My 10yo son has caught 20+ 40" stripes, albies, tuna but get him hooked up with 6 macks and his buddies could care less about live lining. 

Last year we did catch a mini bone on sabiki off Boston. Sure surprised me. 

1 hour ago, Alextadventues said:

Encourage them to try the sabiki to help fill the livewell. If they aren’t feeling confident about having 8 hooks, let them be with their diamond jig. That is just a pretty good indicator that they will remain only a guest and not become a fishing partner. 

Nah, it’s a good friend and he will always be welcome on my boat.

I have another friend that has similar expectations as me regarding ice box contributions. Nothing to any strict level but he notices when someone is idle and not fishing. 

I think we have all been on a trip trip or two as well where one person in the party put in an under 10% effort all around and still got an equal share of the catch. 

21 mins ago, NHAngler said:

Nah, it’s a good friend and he will always be welcome on my boat.

I have another friend that has similar expectations as me regarding ice box contributions. Nothing to any strict level but he notices when someone is idle and not fishing. 

I think we have all been on a trip trip or two as well where one person in the party put in an under 10% effort all around and still got an equal share of the catch. 

I view it the same as when we go out to dinner with a group of friends.  We divide the bill by the number of couples, regardless of who had what.  Sometimes I will have prime rib, and others a salad (well not JUST a salad).  We don't get into the "I think Bill had 4 drinks and Jim only had 2" debates.  Life's too short.

2 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

I view it the same as when we go out to dinner with a group of friends.  We divide the bill by the number of couples, regardless of who had what.  Sometimes I will have prime rib, and others a salad (well not JUST a salad).  We don't get into the "I think Bill had 4 drinks and Jim only had 2" debates.  Life's too short.

Since you are eating prime rib and others are having salad, I can see why you would think this way. ;) I get your point but not really a cost-splitting issue/kind of the opposite in that the work and effort should be equally divided. 

If I put 30 bait in the well and a guest puts in 5-6 we may either have to shorten the fishing time due to an increased bait hunt or shorten our fishing time due to running out of bait. 

My trips to the salt with my boat require a fairly big effort and fuel costs. As such, I don't go out for short trips and am usually on the water for 8-10+ hours. When I return home, there is also a bit of work to clean, dry, cover, and put away my boat and gear. Some of this is me just being overly meticulous, but most is just where I live, where my boat (on a trailer) is parked, and not knowing when or where my next trip will be. So... when on the water, I'm fairly serious. 

26 mins ago, NHAngler said:

Since you are eating prime rib and others are having salad, I can see why you would think this way. ;) I get your point but not really a cost-splitting issue/kind of the opposite in that the work and effort should be equally divided. 

If I put 30 bait in the well and a guest puts in 5-6 we may either have to shorten the fishing time due to an increased bait hunt or shorten our fishing time due to running out of bait. 

My trips to the salt with my boat require a fairly big effort and fuel costs. As such, I don't go out for short trips and am usually on the water for 8-10+ hours. When I return home, there is also a bit of work to clean, dry, cover, and put away my boat and gear. Some of this is me just being overly meticulous, but most is just where I live, where my boat (on a trailer) is parked, and not knowing when or where my next trip will be. So... when on the water, I'm fairly serious. 

I get your viewpoint.  I fish purely to relax.  I rarely keep a fish, haven't kept a striper in three years.   I just don't care if someone else isn't as in to it as I am.  

On 7/30/2021 at 9:19 AM, NHAngler said:

I get your point but not really a cost-splitting issue/kind of the opposite in that the work and effort should be equally divided. 

and a guest 

Had the same issues on my Fathers 18 ft Boat we Trailered from my House. The mistake I corrected is there are No guests or Inventions. Just an understanding that it is a shared Cost of Fuel Bait Ice  BYOB & Food limited amount of Gear. Shared Cooler. Took just a few trips with deep Pockets but did not lose anyone. Left with a Full Tank at the Marina split the refueling on the return. Wash down Party at the Marina Limited to 4  onboard. split 3 ways. My father who Bought & owned the Boat WAS THE GUEST  Costs of Boat ownership was On me.  That lasted 6 years till I realized the best Boat was Some One Else's.  And family demands I get a 26FT Travel Trailer from Main to Fla -PA. 

Edited by Cheeckakoe

19 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

I get your viewpoint.  I fish purely to relax.  I rarely keep a fish, haven't kept a striper in three years.   I just don't care if someone else isn't as in to it as I am.  

I SECOND That I have had a good life Fishing it was but a Section in it all. God has been good to me. Now I get more out of a Day Fishing from Watching others catch fish  Sharing Stories and Tackle. Come Spring Fall you can find me on this Bench Broken as it is. My take is People Take it to Serious and the Relaxing part never happens. Corny as it may be God does not subtract the Time you fish from your lifeline. 

Grandpa on The Bench.jpg

Edited by Cheeckakoe

23 hours ago, NHAngler said:

I see this as the key point.

If I'm headed out for shark, for example, we are not mackerel fishing.  I might stop on a school of chub mackerel to grab a few baits, but everyone on the boat is expected to help get those baits in the boat ASAP so we can start shark fishing at the earliest possible moment.  They are not supposed to hinder the effort by playing with the bait.

They knew we were shark fishing before we left the dock, and shouldn't attempt to change the agenda mid-trip.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:19 AM, NHAngler said:

So... when on the water, I'm fairly serious. 

Your choice whether to bring people who aren't serious then. You know this guy is going to putz around, either get him up to speed, accept that he's going to under-perform, or don't take him. You can tell him as easily as you told us that he's costing dollars, and he can decide how he wants to fish.