Do fish change preference in color?

Rate this topic

RAW

A few falls  back we were on the boat fishing in the bay at a spot that was good for us at this particular tide stage. 3 of us throwing different stuff to see what would work. White soft plastic on a jig head was the ticket. We all switched to that and were getting schoolies virtually every cast. Retrieve speed,depth, technique didn’t matter. Then it suddenly died. One guy switched to chartreuse and kept catching like before. We all went chartreuse and the action continued. When it died down we moved to another spot. Neither color was working so 1 guy went with pink and after he caught on 5 straight casts (while we were skunking out) we all switched over and had great action. We ended up cycling through just like in the first spot. First pink was hot, then white and then chartreuse. When one color was hot the others were ineffective. Although I generally believe in light vs dark, there are obviously times when a specific color is what works. 

6 mins ago, Al Ris said:

A few falls  back we were on the boat fishing in the bay at a spot that was good for us at this particular tide stage. 3 of us throwing different stuff to see what would work. White soft plastic on a jig head was the ticket. We all switched to that and were getting schoolies virtually every cast. Retrieve speed,depth, technique didn’t matter. Then it suddenly died. One guy switched to chartreuse and kept catching like before. We all went chartreuse and the action continued. When it died down we moved to another spot. Neither color was working so 1 guy went with pink and after he caught on 5 straight casts (while we were skunking out) we all switched over and had great action. We ended up cycling through just like in the first spot. First pink was hot, then white and then chartreuse. When one color was hot the others were ineffective. Although I generally believe in light vs dark, there are obviously times when a specific color is what works. 

Hard to understand, but knowing colors in the water and different depths they are totally different than we think. .Since I fish dusk or predawn most everything is dark. The red/white is usually late afternoon 5-7 sun behind me. Even fishing egg patterns for steelhead I use 3-4 variations in colors of roe