RAW

Do fish change preference in color?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have always caught almost anything on a red and white 3.5" top water popper, not a striper in 2 years, Years ago a blue and white large Atom plug, ? seems now dark or light, in flies lots of colors, flash etc. Yes a little chartreuse plastics. But is it me or you also noticing it? 

IMG_0614.JPG

Edited by RAW
addition

Nope I’ve noticed as well. For me for the longest time (2 to 3 years) yellow or some combo of yellow/white was my go to for top water. Lately is bone or white/red head. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Topwater has caught most of my stripers this year.  1st it was blue back/white belly smack-it knock-off until it broke, then purple back/gold belly knock-off (I guess kinda bunker-like), then redhead chug bug.  Lately topwater has sucked for me, and most non-topwater have been SP minnow in bunker color (gold).

Edited by Skunkoff

1 hour ago, Bwstriper44 said:

Nope I’ve noticed as well. For me for the longest time (2 to 3 years) yellow or some combo of yellow/white was my go to for top water. Lately is bone or white/red head. 

I agree with you here. I noticed the same thing year after year or every so many years with trendy colors that seem to go from the “must have” to somewhere between luke warm and ice cold. 

My red and white plug hammers everything in SWFL; Tarpon, Redfish, Snook and trout. My guess is the amount of bait in the upper zone. I have always fished dark colors dusk to dawn, then go lighter or chrome like Kastmasters. Also my traditional plastics in pearl, green grays, dark and white bellys have been replaced by holographic foil lined types, These I have to fish very slow, basically bottom bouncing in the sand.A few years ago a pearl sluggo on the swing was all you needed.:rav:

IMG_0614.JPG

This summer I've been catching a ton of bass with a white Scabelly glider that has a very subtle pink hue on the sides.  2 weeks ago my buddy joins me and he puts on the same glider in yellow.  We are side by side and suddenly the same plug I had just tagged 140 fish with since Memorial Day could not get any more attention.  Certainly no science to this but for whatever reason white/pink fell out of favor for yellow.  Also, we moved to a different spot on the same body of water and the same thing continued. 

Color doesn't matter, until it does. 

18 mins ago, bassmaster said:

These fish will drive you nuts trying to figure them out

Yes like a bag of red shelled pistachios... just when u think things are going good........

red dye everywhere ... foiled again... 

Fish dont change preferences of color or anything else. 

You give them credit for more brain power than they have. They simply rely on instinct and the way more rods and cones in their eyeballs to see. Plus the lateral line of course. And smell. 

But the main trigger for bass and such is their sight. They can see way more colors and shades than we can. Which is essential underwater, especially at depth where at least as far as we know for sure about human eyes. 

The water clarity, turbulence, depth, and available forage is all they consider. They will eat what they can see best first. 

That's just my opinion on any sub surface lure 6" or deeper from the surf.

Topwater I am superstitious and just throw my go to red and yellow Eel Punt popper first. And for a long time. Cause it works.

Just like us they subsist on many different foods which come in different colors. We have a choice of eating a red apple, or an orange carrot, fish take what’s available. Topwater baits also emit sound and vibration.
  Stripers have keen olfactory senses, rated right up there with Catfish and Salmon.

there is no set pattern, sometimes they want something exactly like the forage, other times they will only hit a lure that looks nothing like what they are hitting. I've caught bass on a reverse atom in a school of 3" sandeels

I don't think there is a right answer to the question.  Bass will surprise you all the time.  I've caught 25 inch fish on 9in  spooks and 30# fish in a clouser minnow fly.  I put plugs on categories of top water noise makers, surface metal lip swimmers and sub surface divers and jigs,  They all work at some point.. Keep changing till you hit the right combo for that day.

Sort of like a bar-b-q.  What food do you choose?  There’s the shrimp cocktail , burgers, corn, dogs, salad, all different colors. Btw, the colors yellow and red are used by burger joints because they are aid to inspire hunger. 

I noticed one day when slapping on a blue deadly dick lure, which I know from these online forums catch striped bass, blues, allbies. I personally had never caught. 

I always heard the color too get is green. But , I had blue. So, it’s fall I throw the second bar to would be stripers amd let the lure go all the way down. Them snapped up the lure from the bottom.  

a common enough technique from I father. Well, in my mind I was sending the message to a potential bass that this was a herring or mullet (blue) amd it induces a hit. 

my problem I that I couldn’t reinact what I did again after that fish, so who knows. But interesting topic for sure , too me.