luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - July 2021

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bill Klein said:

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

Summer is in full swing, and the beach is open to the line.... when is the last time that was said in the first days of July....

Edited by luckyOC

I'm heading down to the DSSP Monday to surf fish. Then Thursday, we start a week long vacation at Chincoteague , so that means a week of driving Assateauge surf fishing.

On 7/2/2021 at 9:21 PM, smallbatch9 said:

I did read they are changing the entrance......200 yds closer to the ocean and paved

F3C3CEFD-950C-4C3B-B662-DE70BCD08FFC.jpeg

To many goobers who can't get from the gate to the beach without getting stuck ?     See alot of Nissan and Honda sedans in that section plus the odd loser - LOL

I did see some plover signs up south of the bullpen but you could drive around them, maybe they are finding out they are OK just needing the dunes?  I am not going to complain one bit about having the beach open all the way.

This weekend stunk for me fishing wise, but the water was nice and clear and abundant sun shine.

I got see from a distance the car burning up on the beach and all the rescue equipment come flying by.  It was a heck of an explosion when the gas tank went.

I had planned to fish Thursday and Friday this week on AI.  With the Tropical Storm coming up the coast, it looks like those days may be a washout with Saturday being the better option.  I've heard that fishing from the surf can be awesome just before and after a big storm.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

I surf fished DSSP today. Fished from 5:45 am to 11: am. Caught 2 whiteing , they were nice size. Only other thing caught was small skate down from me. Caught on fbbw, and live sand fleas I caught in the surf line. But it was a great day. Now Friday starts my Assateauge vacation.

We just returned from Chincoteague.  We didn't do any surf fishing, but we went out with one of the local charters on a Carolina Skiff and caught two nice dusky sharks, three kingfish, and probably three dozen croakers over our 4-hour trip.

On 7/6/2021 at 1:50 PM, rwilliamsjr26 said:

I had planned to fish Thursday and Friday this week on AI.  With the Tropical Storm coming up the coast, it looks like those days may be a washout with Saturday being the better option.  I've heard that fishing from the surf can be awesome just before and after a big storm.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

Just before a drop in pressure can be absolutely incredible.  I know a guy that's got a pretty good stormy mothers day story.  You need to be really careful though.  I was out one April fishing just south of a former member when a stiff NE caught us off guard.  We got out as quick as possible but ended up driving through a LOT of water.  It was not a comfortable situation.  

I've never had any success just after a big storm.

On 7/2/2021 at 8:48 PM, Catskill John said:

What happened to the plovers? Did the nests get washed out?

Did birds loose their protection?

Have our prayers been answered?

?

Tried to do some digging asking the gate attendant, she didn't really know, from what I got 4 birds hatched none survived, im guessing they kept the partial closure in place in case the birds decided to try again. If they nested again it'll be a long miserable fall lol. The partial closure was just passed bullpen at 22 and extended to roughly 25 but has since shortened. Let's hope it stays open. There is also a turtle nest down around 27 or 28. It's been up since mid June. Hopefully they will hatch mid to late August.