Stroth

? 25K - What to drive ?

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

My 05 4runner is done.  Terrible timing, but I have to move on.....

Family of 4 with a dog.   Daughter = 11 & son = 14.     Our other ride is a 2012 Highlander with 120K.   FYI:  I hate the thing - drives like a boat.   

We live outside of Boston.   I've got a 14' Lund  Hull that we putz around with sometimes even though as my kids hit teenager life they want to do their own thing more. 

I know the timing is terrible, but we need a new vehicle.  If you were in my spot right now with a limit of 25K what would you get?  I was not prepared for this truck to go so quickly, but I just cannot put any more money or time into it.   I am all over the place with ideas:

GMC Sierra / Silverado

Toyota 4Runner

Colorado / Canyon

Rarely on the highway more than an hour.   15 miles of 'backroads' to and from work

Just now, redfishkiller said:

suburban  or taho

Suburbans our exceptional gear-and-family wagons. I am gonna drive mine (2005, with 130k miles) until me or it drops dead, whichever comes first. 

But I just looked: holy ****, our the prices insane! $25k, at least around here, will get you something 5-8 years old, with about 140,000 miles on it. I know the damn things new are $70k, but that is still nuts. 

That said, you will not regret buying a Suburban or Tahoe. They our built to last, and are incomparable as weekend road trip-mobiles. The only downside to them is that they guzzle gas: mine gets about 14 mpg. I don't care, because I don't drive it much, but if you're using it for a daily commuter, I'd probably look for something a bit smaller.

Posted (edited) · Report post

just search what you want and find one at a dealer thats about a year old with about 12-15k miles on it that was used by the dealer. the price will be reduced. problem right now is ,like everything else,prices are up

i am on my third ram quad cab and the only issue i had was the 01 had to have the rear main seal replaced which was covered.  this one i have has 65k with not a single issue. hauled my boat 140 mile round trip every weekend. hauled the dual axle trailer full of wood many times. hauled the quads out to west virginia many times.  

Edited by coolhandfluke

3 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

just search what you want and find one at a dealer thats about a year old with about 12-15k miles on it that was used by the dealer. the price will be reduced. problem right now is ,like everything else,prices are up

He's not getting a one year old vehicle in the class he's looking for @ 25K. 

Just now, Eagles Dare said:

He's not getting a one year old vehicle in the class he's looking for @ 25K. 

not today.    i bought my 15 in 16.   new was 38k     i got it for 28k from david dodge. the sales people used it.  it was tagged only to the dealer.

In today's crazy market, I would fix what you have.

But, If you have decided to purchase something, your budget means it will be a domestic model.

I am still doing a vehicle search, after having exhausted the 4 runner route. $25 k ain’t getting a good one. 

I don’t know why everyone thinks things will “calm down” at all. I no signs of that. 

I abhor the whole vehicle purchase experience. My current stable consists of a 5 year old truck, a 9 year old Jeep, and a 21 year old BMW.

Jeep is the wife's vehicle and has given us zero issues. Hoping it goes at least 5 more years then I should be retired.