Seals

Rate this topic

rst3

11 mins ago, mikez2 said:

"Many people"? Lol

Canada can't find a market for the seal meat they harvest. They thought they had a deal with china in 2011 but INTERNATIONAL OUTRAGE nixed the deal.

That's right. China backed out over bad PR. China. Let that sink in.

The EU was considering a proposal to allow limited import of seal products but their restrictions pretty much remove any commercial viability. More or less just for Inuit to make gas money. 

Gourmet chefs allegedly are trying to get it to catch on in US restaurants but it's a niche menu somewhere between frogs legs and armadillo. 

"Many people" eat beef liver too. Most of them only once.

I'm told seal is like liver, only Fishy. Yum.

1 hour ago, z-man said:

Isn’t the cape part of humans historic range too? Maybe humans played a role in keeping the seal populations in check. 

back in the early 50's in chatham, maybe sooner every seal was shot on sight...nose cut off and brought to the town hall for a five dollar reward...the last guys to shoot seals up to the end was the weir fisherman...now they can only watch as the seals clean out the nets of fish in the traps...now you can see the seal crap floating in pleasent bay along with the stink...enjoy your clams that come from there...not me.

44 mins ago, AckStriperGuyDD said:

I wouldn't eat it but many people eat seal and say it's delicious and nutritious.  

Mmm. Looks tasty. 

Screenshot_20210805-175224_Chrome.jpg.292781ab5c325b4d7b586c950352a904.jpg

"Opened stomachs of grey seals containing Contracaecum osculatum. Comparison of a medium infection (left) and a severe infection (right)"

Seals are giant, parasitic worm factories. Not sure "candle-ing" would be particularly helpful in this case.

Im gonna go with Hard Pass on seal T bone + worm demiglaze...

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

2 hours ago, z-man said:

Isn’t the cape part of humans historic range too? Maybe humans played a role in keeping the seal populations in check. 

Absolutely, and there is definitely room for a sustainable harvest.  However we would need to gain public support and find a market for the products that a seal produces. Marine mammals acquire an insane amount of bioaccumulation in addition to the parasites that were mentioned further in the thread and for a responsible harvest to take place we would need to utilize the whole animal, not just trophy hunt for cool skulls to put on the mantle or enact our righteous revenge for the schoolie that got picked off our line last week.  I wonder what amount if any would be "safe" for pet food, if mild mercury exposure would come into affect across the shorter lifespan of a cat or dog.

If this works, it's a very detailed paper done on the option of culling gray seals on Cape Cod.. it was done after the shark fatality in 2019.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://blaypublishers.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/pearson-leb63.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjqufeI-ZryAhUohOAKHbJwDvIQFnoECAsQAg&usg=AOvVaw1I0CWt-nfqfp5u0y6UkSjh

3 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Absolutely, and there is definitely room for a sustainable harvest.  However we would need to gain public support and find a market for the products that a seal produces. Marine mammals acquire an insane amount of bioaccumulation in addition to the parasites that were mentioned further in the thread and for a responsible harvest to take place we would need to utilize the whole animal, not just trophy hunt for cool skulls to put on the mantle or enact our righteous revenge for the schoolie that got picked off our line last week.  I wonder what amount if any would be "safe" for pet food, if mild mercury exposure would come into affect across the shorter lifespan of a cat or dog.

I say just cull them.  We cull deer, bear and other nuisance animals, let's cull the seals.  I don't want them to become extinct but they shouldn't be allowed to overrun the place either...same with the plovers.

11 mins ago, AckStriperGuyDD said:

I say just cull them.  We cull deer, bear and other nuisance animals, let's cull the seals.  I don't want them to become extinct but they shouldn't be allowed to overrun the place either...same with the plovers.

That is called effective management tactics. I guess those are no longer practiced. Out tax dollars keep being used against us     And we fund this mismanagement of our lands. P F A

33 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

I’m sure that they could make some type of dog treat with the seals. They already make fish skin dog treats. 

37 mins ago, Kones1 said:

That is called effective management tactics. I guess those are no longer practiced. Out tax dollars keep being used against us     And we fund this mismanagement of our lands. P F A

Our tax dollars are being squandered because we're not culling seals?

The Sultan of Sluggo

57 mins ago, AckStriperGuyDD said:

Ok, I'll bite.    Who does the culling?

The Sultan of Sluggo

2 hours ago, capesams said:

back in the early 50's in chatham, maybe sooner every seal was shot on sight...nose cut off and brought to the town hall for a five dollar reward...the last guys to shoot seals up to the end was the weir fisherman...now they can only watch as the seals clean out the nets of fish in the traps...now you can see the seal crap floating in pleasent bay along with the stink...enjoy your clams that come from there...not me.

That’s nasty Steve,