rst3

Seals

Rate this topic

373 posts in this topic

Yeah I'm done. Just done. 

Can't take hook-nosed sea pigs(their original name) anymore.

So finally, after a terrible stretch of fishing, I get onto some really nice bass that are willing to chew. Plus, I'm feeling good. Dialed in.

Then the seal shows up.

Fat, disgusting, face-farting 500lb rogue male. 

Grabs one fish and breaks me off.

Dammit. F#&@ing seal.

Ok fine, you stole your dinner. A large, upper tier, top breeder bass. Not happy at all about losing a big breeder, but I ain't gonna cry about it. 

So I re-rig and go back to catching. Short time later I have a mid 40" class almost to hand. Then the line starts racing out. Nonstop. It's that f#&@ing seal again!

Not *TWO* 30s for dinner, you greedy fat f#&----

>> **SNAP!**

Rod breaks. Line breaks. Seal devours second 30+ lb bass in under 15 minutes. 

Now.. I don't hunt, and don't own firearms. But at that moment, if you handed me an elephant gun or similar, I would've happily blown a coffee can sized hole through its head.

Screenshot_20210729-024526_Reddit.jpg.94494ba6c8e1756eb2dacc1be78566e3.jpg

PicsArt_07-29-02_42_48.png.f6f419041125165e3636f9faeac702ed.png

Look: I've seen seals nearly everywhere I fish this year. From boat. From shore. Places I've never, ever, seen them before. And no, these weren't the first bass I've had stolen this year.

It's not the fact they eat every last scrap of food along the coast that burns me. I mean that completely sucks, tbs, but that's what an overflowing population of large predators will do.

Two things drive me to see red:

1) They park themselves by fishermen and wait, spooking bass. Then they steal our catch. 

2) There's absolutely nothing I can do about it. Just take it up the dook like I'm the seal's bitch. 

Grey seals will continue to expand in population and range, so long as there is food to support them. Where does this end up in 10 or 20 years? Will surfcasting or boat fishing for bass even be possible? In many areas, catching the seals' dinner may just become SOP for fishing. Hook a fish for 30 seconds, then break off on a seal. 

Block Island is infested now. Been here since 1982. Back then we would goof on the Harbor Seals as there were only a few in winter and left in spring. Now it’s fat Albert  hauling out on Sandy Point where they roost. Must be close to 50. More and more coming each year Then they spill out every morning and circle the island eating anything that moves. Now to add insult to injury by closing the only good driving beach where you can escape the crowds due to Plover nesting. Can’t see this ending well.  Need to give them COVID or something. 

We can stand around and whatch what happens or we can wonder WHAT happened or we can MAKE it happen. Waiting is dumb. Look at Cape Cod. Ruined 

2 hours ago, t_man7 said:

You can blame the Marine Mammals Act.

It isn't quite that simple. 

The biggest harvest of seals was the babies.

Clubbing baby seals became an international BFD. They pretty much shut down baby seal clubbing around the world.

Meanwhile, the entire concept of wearing fur was fading and/or being driven extinct by animal rights activists. 

The loss of the international fur trade, particularly baby seal fur, is the biggest reason the seals rebounded.

If by some miracle the Marine Mammal Protection Act was repealed, there would still be no market for adult seal fur.

You'd be faced with asking the American people and international animal rights community to accept the clubbing of baby seals on US soil.

Anyone thinks we'd ever go back to a time when fishermen could just shoot seals to let them rot, is delusional. 

Anyone who thinks an official cull of a few hundred animals would matter to thousands of miles of coast is equally so.

And no, there will never be a viable hunting season for adult seals that aren't good to eat, have crappy fur and would make a hideous mount. I doubt you could ever sell more than 100 tags to the Don Jrs of the world. Meaningless as population control. 

It's fun to fantasize about killing seals (I guess) but on a practical level, we won't see it in our lifetime. 

I'm sitting on Bell Rd as I type this.  Salty the 500lb seal just caught and devoured a 10lb striper in front of the usual crowd. 

37 mins ago, Kones1 said:

It certainly would make a difference if enough ammo was spent

The primary advantage, maybe the only one, as far as I can see, is to teach them to fear humans. 

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

It isn't quite that simple. 

The biggest harvest of seals was the babies.

Clubbing baby seals became an international BFD. They pretty much shut down baby seal clubbing around the world.

Meanwhile, the entire concept of wearing fur was fading and/or being driven extinct by animal rights activists. 

The loss of the international fur trade, particularly baby seal fur, is the biggest reason the seals rebounded.

If by some miracle the Marine Mammal Protection Act was repealed, there would still be no market for adult seal fur.

You'd be faced with asking the American people and international animal rights community to accept the clubbing of baby seals on US soil.

Anyone thinks we'd ever go back to a time when fishermen could just shoot seals to let them rot, is delusional. 

Anyone who thinks an official cull of a few hundred animals would matter to thousands of miles of coast is equally so.

And no, there will never be a viable hunting season for adult seals that aren't good to eat, have crappy fur and would make a hideous mount. I doubt you could ever sell more than 100 tags to the Don Jrs of the world. Meaningless as population control. 

It's fun to fantasize about killing seals (I guess) but on a practical level, we won't see it in our lifetime. 

Plenty of guys would buy tags and shoot seals. Don’t underestimate the average shopper at bass pro shops or Cabela’s. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I keep a sling shot and a 5 lb  bag of marbles in my boat. However, I would never shoot at a precious animal. Now, ask me about what I consider to be a precious animal.

Edited by NHAngler

Guys on Nantucket take this into their own hands.  They bring their rifles up to Great Point and take a few out at night after dark.  You can hear the shots if you're up there fishing.  I'm all for a seal cull.  It's ruined the fishing on Nantucket.

How far south are they becoming regulars?  

Are the common in the LIS?

Have never seen nor heard of one around the other side or in NJ waters.