Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 29 - Aug 4

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth getting off the couch. 

Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have today with the ever changing fishing conditions. 

Just a few days left in July, some of the hottest, wettest weather we've had in a very long time.

Water temperatures are really elevated. Surface ocean temperatures range from 69-72 degrees.

Plenty of Macks around. Can't miss the noise when you find them, much like a receding wave over cobblestones.

Watch too for pods of small stripers, slurping together in one direction, like the macks but slower.

They find this really tiny bait, not sure if it is anchovies, silversides, etc.

Huge bluefish if you find the right location. Catching 'em on a fly rod is like taking them on a leash and for a walk.

Catch them on a plug, it's crazy the jumps, acrobats, and the meanness in their actions.

Today’s report but close enough haha missed a teen fish on topwater this evening and had a bunch of other blowups. Only connected with one schoolie. 7” doc is really impressing me

Been on south shore beach all week, much much less activity then previous years. No surface action at all, and not seeing any of that bait folks are reporting around mouth of bay. Bottom fishing is decent around sunset but not many keeper size scup, but some big dogfish have kept the kids happy. Had one at 28” and another pushing 36” which gave kids a workout. 

The most consistent Block Island trip this summer

A full day charter, if you factor in three hours of motoring to and fro... that equals 5 hours of fishing possibilities.

We did not have not one pause the entire 5 hours. No boats trolling around us to put fish down.

Constant double. Final total one client 15 jumbo bluefish, one caught on a fly.

The other client one slot striper, 20 large gators.

They are there. No birds or swirls to give them away.

They are laying on the bottom in 15-20 of clear water, coming up to swimming sub-surface plugs.

The leaps and tail dancing has been amazing along with long runs.

Nothing like an irate monsta bluefish attached to a 7 inch treble plug.

What visuals they preform doing their acrobatics.

Fish every few casts today. Great day. Worst direction for wind so missed  some nice blowups that were for sure slots. Nothing huge. Landed one slot 32 almost 33 inches

5ABD18C1-4487-4477-8A9A-C17D8FADDC7A.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Fish every few casts today. Great day. Worst direction for wind so missed  some nice blowups that were for sure slots. Nothing huge. Landed one slot 32 almost 33 inches

5ABD18C1-4487-4477-8A9A-C17D8FADDC7A.jpeg

Nice.

Wind direction may have drove the bait fish right to you.

BTW your next post will be #1,000.

Edited by cow tamer

1 min ago, cow tamer said:

Nice.

BTW your next post will be #1,000.

I must be on here too much then. I seem to definitely do better and get more action in the evenings though so definitely going to keep at it. I’ve had a chance at a slot or teen fish every trip since Friday so I’m going to keep pushing my luck ahaha

Bunker are all over. 6-8” perfection. Snag and swap to a circle and you are on in 5 seconds. Lost a 30lb fish this week and plenty of very big bluefish. Just had to find them with the boat. 

45 mins ago, Drew9745 said:

Wife and I are heading to the Gully Sunday. Should be interesting.. :)

have you checked the weather forecast?

Posted (edited) · Report post

58 mins ago, MakoMike said:

have you checked the weather forecast?

Yep. And ill prob check it 47 more times between now and 0400 Sunday. Not my first rodeo. :)

Edited by Drew9745

1 hour ago, Drew9745 said:

Yep. And ill prob check it 47 more times between now and 0400 Sunday. Not my first rodeo. :)

I checked and I’m not setting foot on my boat for the next couple of days.

On 7/29/2021 at 8:44 PM, LockedDrag said:

5ABD18C1-4487-4477-8A9A-C17D8FADDC7A.jpegIt was nice meeting ya really good guy glad to see them still there 

26 mins ago, Viessnamuth said:
On 7/29/2021 at 8:44 PM, LockedDrag said:

5ABD18C1-4487-4477-8A9A-C17D8FADDC7A.jpegIt was nice meeting ya really good guy glad to see them still there 

Same here. Nice to see you guys again too. It was brutal but a lot of fish around. Today was a different story. Really slow but I got a big blue