fmtuna

Trolling Motor Batteries

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

So I have a line on a new Minn Kota Terranova.... 80# thrust, 24V for the bow of a 23' Maycraft.  The boat is light as a potato chip which is why I did not go for 36V system, this should be plenty and I'd like to save the extra 50# so I can keep on eating subs and milkshakes.

I just cannot bring myself to bite the bullet for one of those 24V Lithium batteries that cost half of what the trolling motor does.... I looked at the Optima 12V and although the numbers look great the reviews are horrible...

When I owned big boats, and now when I own the smaller one, I have used Interstate batteries in my boats forever.  , but I really do not know jack about what a trolling motor system needs in real life beyond knowing it should be a Deep Cycle.

Help a brother out with a little real info willya?

Walmart deep cycle is juuuust fine for this purpose. Try not to drain them beyond 50% too often and they should last you years. Don't worry about getting anything lithium until space/weight limitations dictate. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Walmart batteries are Chinese. West Marine’s batteries are made by East Penn in...well...Pennsylvania of course. Get the AGM variety.........More expensive than Walmart but not as much as Optima. Quality is very good.

Trolling batteries need to be able to take a physical beating and still operate. AGM’s can operate even if upside down. Get the highest capacity you can afford.....

I had one on my previous boat with a Motor Guide for 7 years.......was still ticking when I sold the boat. Naturally I bought the same one for my new rig.......

Edited by aae0130

I use duracell AGM batteries. They don't lose a charge, they don't need maintenance either. I have 12v terrova that I've run for 5 hours straight in the bay and didn't run out of charge.

It's more about how are you gonna charge and maintain them.  The slower the charge imo the longer the battery life last not the duration. If you want long duration then go bigger group battery. I have had good success with the Duracell ones as well. Also when looking for chargers you need to match your charger to your type of battery and it's amp for charge rate as well. You can cook the battery. a reliable system doesn't have to be expensive. BTW I love the noco systems. Sealed and small.

On my 24 volt trolling motor, I used size 31 Sears deep cycles and had no issues.  On my current 36 volt system, I opted for AGM batteries and have had no issue there, either.  I use the MinnKota Precision Charger to keep them charged, and have not have any issues at all.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:18 PM, aae0130 said:

Walmart batteries are Chinese. West Marine’s batteries are made by East Penn in...well...Pennsylvania of course. Get the AGM variety.........More expensive than Walmart but not as much as Optima. Quality is very good.

Trolling batteries need to be able to take a physical beating and still operate. AGM’s can operate even if upside down. Get the highest capacity you can afford.....

I had one on my previous boat with a Motor Guide for 7 years.......was still ticking when I sold the boat. Naturally I bought the same one for my new rig.......

Fairly certain Walmart Everstart Lead Acid batteries are made by Johnson Controls and I really don't think they have a plant in China. South Korea, Canada and USA last I heard.

I'd get 2 of the Group 29 or 31 from Walmart and don't look back. I've been running them in at least my last 5 or 6 boats.

On 7/30/2021 at 6:31 PM, MdCrappie said:

I'd get 2 of the Group 29 or 31 from Walmart and don't look back. I've been running them in at least my last 5 or 6 boats.

This^

Bit the bullet, bought the MinnKota.... bought a Dakota Lithium, install in two weeks because that is how long it is taking for the battery to get here.

On 7/30/2021 at 6:31 PM, MdCrappie said:

Fairly certain Walmart Everstart Lead Acid batteries are made by Johnson Controls and I really don't think they have a plant in China. South Korea, Canada and USA last I heard.

I picked up those batteries in the store and they are clearly labeled “China”.....

21 mins ago, aae0130 said:

I picked up those batteries in the store and they are clearly labeled “China”.....

Please take a pic and post next time you are there, otherwise I stand by my post......and the fact that I actually have 4 or 5 of these and not a single one says "China".

Here are pics of 3 that I have access to with manu dates of 2013, 2018 and 2020. The one that states "Distributed by Johnson Controls" was manufactured in 2013 (confirming my thoughts of who was distributing them) and starts my 2005 Tacoma with 287K miles on it daily.

gyhtfrde.jpg

jhgtfd.jpg

jnhgfdre.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Johnson Controls no longer makes Walmart’s batteries......The battery division of Johnson controls was sold off in 2019 anyway. 

It could be Exide making them now.....as they are similar in appearance with recessed vents. That would make them Indian and not Chinese or American.....

Edited by aae0130

25 mins ago, aae0130 said:

Johnson Controls no longer makes Walmart’s batteries......The battery division of Johnson controls was sold off in 2019 anyway. 

It could be Exide making them now.....as they are similar in appearance with recessed vents. That would make them Indian and not Chinese or American.....

I believe Johnson Controls was bought out by Clarios and they use the same manufacturing plants. But if some of the Everstart line is made by Exide, they do have manufacturing plants in the USA as well as other places

2 mins ago, MdCrappie said:

I believe Johnson Controls was bought out by Clarios and they use the same manufacturing plants. But if some of the Everstart line is made by Exide, they do have manufacturing plants in the USA as well as other places

Then you will be subject to luck of the draw. If you buy EastPenn batteries there is no question. Made in the USA.