Dave Peros

MA Environmental Police Offices STILL CLOSED

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

bob-G's recent thread about the EPO's and the issues involved with fisheries enforcement only emphasized for me the failure of this agency to get the job done. As some folks pointed out in that thread, the lack of EPO's on the ground and on the water and the restrictions place on them in terms of territories makes enforcement a challenge, but I am still of the opinion that their work habits and ethics leave a lot to be desired.

And forget about dealing with with the local Hyannis office when it comes to boat registrations, etc. All of their offices are still closed (as of August 25, 2020) according to their website, including Hyannis, so everything has to be mailed. Due a change in my business name, I have twice sent packets to the Hyannis office and had them returned because of, admittedly, errors and omissions on my part which would have never occurred had I been able to talk to someone there, but they don't ever answer the phone. I can tell you that the individual at the office has sent my first packet back with a checklist about what is missing or incomplete, which I thought I took care of with my second mailing, but it came back because I didn't have the original title for one of my boats which I had originally filed with their office when I registered it in 2008, but I guess that doesn't count.

A little bird (my brain) suggested that if I wanted to get a copy of my original title, I would file my application and payment with the Boston office and, lo and behold, it arrived within ten days.

Now, I have all of my documentation ready, but I am shaking in my boots since before I send it in, I want to make sure I haven't missed anything, but I can't talk with anyone or, better yet, go into an office to go over all the paperwork. To be fair, my in person experiences with the Hyannis office had always gone well in the past, but whoever is staffing the office during this pandemic shutdown is a nightmare, with at least one boat dealer even having trouble getting new boats registered in a timely manner until they went over her head. 

Since one of my boats was originally purchased and registered under my name, I have to file a new registration/title application, provide a bill of sale, a new sales tax form (ST-6) and the original title, while the other is being sold and registered from one business name to another (forget that story!) and I have to provide the same paperwork. Since I already paid for the boats and paid the sales tax originally on those transactions, I am selling the boats for the minimum - $0 - and have forms ST-6E (exempt from sales tax) forms from the state, as well as the titles for both that I am going to sign over to my new business name. 

But I can tell you if she - and I am assuming that there is only one individual in the Hyannis office - I am going to totally lose it! So, if you see any flaws in my plans, don't hesitate. Then again, maybe I should just use the Boston office again!

Wish me luck.

Dave

P.S. - When I had to buy a new truck this spring, because I bought and registered it under my business name and was trading in a vehicle registered under my personal name, I lost out on the value of my trade in against the sales tax, which was determined by the full cost of the new truck prior to the trade as opposed to the price I paid the dealer after the trade in. Just a little matter of $900 more in sales tax, but remember, government is always there to help you. 

2 hours ago, Dave Peros said:

. Just a little matter of $900 more in sales tax, but remember, government is always there to help you. 

"Help You" (out of your money)!!!

Here is my surprised face. I am taking this stuff to a reporter who also fishes. Maybe he can do some digging and come up with some facts on lack of response from EP's. 

A boat dealer I know told me that every time he tries to process paperwork at a certain office, the requirements change.  The dealer tries to make sure a certain competent individual is available at the window or in the office should such a situation occur.  I'm not sure what the dealer is doing now that everyone is working remotely.   Good luck. 

Never had issues when having boats inspected. EPOs have always been very responsive.

The registration office, however, not so much. I sent in paper work two weeks ago and have not heard back from them.

There is no reason why, with the technologies available, registrations cannot be done fully online.

Either that or they should be back in the office working.

I sent my boat registration papers to the Springfield office on Tuesday, got it back in the mail on Friday. Boston usually takes longer because everyone sends to Boston.