Sudsy

Need a new chainsaw - what should I get ?

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the $400 range for general storm cleanup and cutting firewood for camping - so light duty, 18" bar preferred.
Most important I want something that won't die in a year or two

I have 9 two cycle motor tools in my shed - everyone of them dead - I HATE two cycle engines !!
Two pressure washers, rototiller, Lawn-Vac, Backpack blower, 2 weedwackers, and two chainsaws - all with (ethenol related ?) carb problems.
If anyone knows how to fix these damned things they can have all of them if they fix one pressure washer and the backpack blower for me.
Edited by Sudsy

I’ve owned a bunch. Husky and Stihl. 

What I tell everyone who asks is go see your local dealer and see who you feel most comfortable with. When you do have an issue, that Husky you got on line is no good if there is no Dealer nearby. 

Stihl is Dealer only. Husky you can get online. 

That being said:

Echo CS590 gets a ton of good press these days. 

I had a great run run with my Husky 450. 

If you want want to go Pro saw, you can spend a lot for a saw that will last many years. 

Get a couple extra chains, and an extra bar for whatever you buy. Amd some files. And of course PPE!

Stihl or Husquavarna. Choose the one that has the strongest local dealer service. I have a Stihl MS 251 it's been a great saw for the 2 cords I cut every year.

:v:

if you think ethanol is the issue, find a station that sells 0% ethanol.

alternatively, buy the much more expensive premixed fuel in cans made specifically for saws. 

stihl, and we use that pre mixed vp gas. we cut 6+ cords a year easy/various tree trimmings around the yard and it comes with us on vehicle recoveries. never let us down yet

Stihl hands down one of the best out there.

Wish you were closer I would take you up on that deal!

32 mins ago, Sudsy said:
In the $400 range for general storm cleanup and cutting firewood for camping - so light duty, 18" bar preferred.

I have 9 two cycle motor tools in my shed - everyone of them dead - I HATE two cycle engines !!
Two pressure washers, rototiller, Lawn-Vac, Backpack blower, 2 weedwackers, and two chainsaws - all with (ethenol related ?) carb problems.
If anyone knows how to fix these damned things they can have all of them if they fix one pressure washer and the backpack blower for me.

Get a can of carb cleaner, drain old gas add fresh to tank, remove air filter give it a shot of carb cleaner and start it. 

Do this a couple of times, throw the choke on and off, your trying to get fresh fuel through the carb.

Good luck. I have a used 026 PRO that I would let go for 300$  if your any were near Cape Cod. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just bought one, won't see a ton of use but enough, went with the 18" Poulan (made by Husqvarna) 

friend upstates Poulan has been going strong for 25+ years now

"the Husqvarna Group owns many smaller power tool brands, one of which is actually Poulan Pro"

Edited by Sandflee

If you have that much trouble with 2 strokes buy a 20v dewalt chain saw. Or used the ethanol free premix from lowes or the depot

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Husquavarna Ranchers are great chainsaws. Mine is only a year old but still starts first pull and i have bucked 5+ cords with it . Non-ethanol is key for small engins. You can look up gas stations that have non ethanol. There is a wawa near me with 0% ethanol gas. All of my old 2 cycle engines are running much better after using non-ethanol gas. For the backpack blower, just buy and install new carb.

Are you into the makita tool line? For occasional use with long term storage, might be a good idea for a battery powered chainsaw.   CPO outlet on fleabay is selling a chainsaw with 4 batteries for $349.   After you factor in the battery & charger price, you have about a $100 into the saw.  It's a 14" thou.

like several have said, try and go with a brand that you can buy and get serviced locally.  having said that, in my area, if you look in the trucks of most tree services and municipal public works departments you will find stihl saws.  it says something. 

1 hour ago, Sandflee said:

Just bought one, won't see a ton of use but enough, went with the 18" Poulan (made by Husqvarna) 

friend upstates Poulan has been going strong for 25+ years now

"the Husqvarna Group owns many smaller power tool brands, one of which is actually Poulan Pro"

That's one of my dead ones

15 mins ago, Sudsy said:

That's one of my dead ones

Power shop where I buy these kinds of things steered me to a Jonsered 2245 CS a few years ago.  Same uses as you mention. No regrets at all.  Had my eye on Husky rancher and but it would have been overkill. 

New Stihl MS 271, 20" bar, for $469.14 including tax at one of the local dealers 

or

Used Stihl 029 Super, 20" bar, clean and working, local sale, $250