UncleJohn

Help identifying baitfish

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

there were a lot of baitfish flashing a foot or so under the surface that I assumed were peanuts because they were flashing their sides just like bunker do.   A guy fishing near me snagged one and shared the picture with me.  I have never seen this fish before and I was wondering if anybody can help me identify the fish 

baitfish.jpg

1 hour ago, daves745t said:

I believe Sudsy said it was a juvenile Chub Mackerel

I think that Sudsy was referring to the fish that I caught that I think was a small Albie.   Unfortunately I don't have a picture as it went berserk when I held it up by the leader and fell between the rocks before I could get a picture 

2 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

No idea but if I had to guess I'd say some sort of juvenile mackerel as there seems to be A LOT of macks out there right now. All different kinds. 

I could be a mackerel.   It does seem to have the general shape of a mackerel and it has a deeply forked tail.   I did a google search for Juvenile Mackerel but I could not find an exact match.   Never knew there were so many different kinds of Mackerel  

I'm almost certain it's Decapterus Punctatus, aka Round Scad, aka Cigar Minnow. The fish you snagged does look somewhat similar to the Round Herring pictured above, but the Round Herring's scales look much larger than those on the snagged fish, and the Round Herring lacks the black dot at the edge of the gill plate.

I've attached a photo of a Cigar Minnow for reference. Though the colors differ, note the similarities in eye/mouth, black dot on gill plate, hard scales on lateral line on tail half of the body, and the yellow tint in the tail. 

Round-Scad-Decapterus-punctatus.jpg

55 mins ago, jeffapeikin said:

could be a Jack mackerel, came up with it on quick google search of juvenile mackerels. Looks like a good  rap color. 

I googled jack mackerel and their habitat is in the Pacific from Australia to Japan    

1 hour ago, jeffapeikin said:

could be a Jack mackerel, came up with it on quick google search of juvenile mackerels. Looks like a good  rap color. 

Looks like the mag darter “mullet” pattern. 

11 hours ago, mr. mr said:

I'm almost certain it's Decapterus Punctatus, aka Round Scad, aka Cigar Minnow. The fish you snagged does look somewhat similar to the Round Herring pictured above, but the Round Herring's scales look much larger than those on the snagged fish, and the Round Herring lacks the black dot at the edge of the gill plate.

I've attached a photo of a Cigar Minnow for reference. Though the colors differ, note the similarities in eye/mouth, black dot on gill plate, hard scales on lateral line on tail half of the body, and the yellow tint in the tail.  

The picture that you posted look very close except the color was different.   I did an online search for the cigar minnow and came up with a picture that look like a match. 

Decapterus punctatus.jpg

56 mins ago, EricDice said:

Looks like the mag darter “mullet” pattern. 

Do you mean the Bronze Mag Darter that everyone likes so much ...   I used to have a Bronze Mag Darter that I had good luck with... Think I will have to get me another bronze Mag Darter ...

On 7/29/2021 at 10:41 AM, UncleJohn said:

Do you mean the Bronze Mag Darter that everyone likes so much ...   I used to have a Bronze Mag Darter that I had good luck with... Think I will have to get me another bronze Mag Darter ...

This one

6BDAEF9E-9397-4D5D-B092-7F7FA52EFBB0.jpeg

Yep, that's the one ...   I see you put a swivel on the front split ring.   Cut hook to swivel or another split?   What is that for ?