rockyoutdoors

Lower Crankshaft, Oil Pump Seals 200hp 4 stroke...

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a Yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke that is leaking oil out of the lower unit. I originally thought it was a prop seal issue. After the mechanic pressure tested the lower unit he said it was all good and holding pressure, and the leaking oil is coming from up top. He said they may have to pull the upper head. After some research I am leaning towards lower crankshaft and oil pump seals. Has anyone here gone through this issue and what can you tell me about it. Thanks in advance.

Edited by rockyoutdoors

15 hours ago, rockyoutdoors said:

I have a Yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke that is leaking oil out of the lower unit. I originally thought it was a prop seal issue. After the mechanic pressure tested the lower unit he said it was all good and holding pressure, and the leaking oil is coming from up top. He said they may have to pull the upper head. After some research I am leaning towards lower crankshaft and oil pump seals. Has anyone here gone through this issue and what can you tell me about it. Thanks in advance.

I had a similar problem on a Suzuki DF200. Like you said, it was the lower crankshaft seals. It wasn’t a big expense. The tech pulled the lower unit and accessed the seals from the top. 

4 hours ago, west tide said:

I had a similar problem on a Suzuki DF200. Like you said, it was the lower crankshaft seals. It wasn’t a big expense. The tech pulled the lower unit and accessed the seals from the top. 

Sounds like you might of had the upper seals in your lower unit go bad. From what I was told to fix this issue you have to remove the power head which will be costly.

2 hours ago, rockyoutdoors said:

Sounds like you might of had the upper seals in your lower unit go bad. From what I was told to fix this issue you have to remove the power head which will be costly.

Maybe for the yamahas?  
the power head didn’t have to be removed on mine. 
just the lower unit was removed to access the seals on top of it

12 mins ago, west tide said:

Maybe for the yamahas?  
the power head didn’t have to be removed on mine. 
just the lower unit was removed to access the seals on top of it

The lower unit has prop seals on the bottom and seals on top of the lower unit around the drive shaft. My lower unit was pressure tested and is fine.  The seals that might be bad on my engine are lower crank shaft seals.

P.S. thanks for the reply

Edited by rockyoutdoors

1 hour ago, rockyoutdoors said:

The lower unit has prop seals on the bottom and seals on top of the lower unit around the drive shaft. My lower unit was pressure tested and is fine.  The seals that might be bad on my engine are lower crank shaft seals.

P.S. thanks for the reply

Gotcha. Thought you where talking about lower unit oil…my mistake 

Sorry for your troubles with your motor. 

On 7/27/2021 at 11:53 AM, rockyoutdoors said:

I don’t know what year you have but I’m gonna guess you checked out exhaust for corrosion being probably the most ggld outboard issue ever. 

10 mins ago, JimW said:

I don’t know what year you have but I’m gonna guess you checked out exhaust for corrosion being probably the most ggld outboard issue ever. 

I had the exhaust corrosion issue fixed 4 years ago. ($3,700.00) :banghd:

21 mins ago, rockyoutdoors said:

I had the exhaust corrosion issue fixed 4 years ago. ($3,700.00) :banghd:

I think they did the sleeve crank seal repair and oil pump when doing the exhaust on a buddy’s motor.   Ugh 

6 mins ago, JimW said:

I think they did the sleeve crank seal repair and oil pump when doing the exhaust on a buddy’s motor.   Ugh 

I am leaning towards the speedy sleeve crank seal and oil pump repair from what I read so far. If they had all of this apart when doing the exhaust issue and didn't replace that I will not be happy. 

Update. 

I went to pick up the boat today from the mechanic who pressure tested the lower unit which was fine. He removed the lower unit to see up inside where the oil was coming from. When he ran the engine for a minute, turned it off tilted it up let it sit for a minute and then lower it about a table spoon of oil would leak down. When I arrived he had the lower unit off and wanted to show me what it was doing. Well low and behold no oil was leaking down. I asked him it it could be that the boat was not ran in almost 10 months could it be a gasket that dried some and now since he ran it it swelled back up? He said that was possible. So we put the lower unit back on and I am going to run it on a ramp and recheck it. 

Engines do not like to sit so I have my fingers crossed.

P.S. the mechanic was sure it was not coming from the crankshaft seals.

Edited by rockyoutdoors

I have to trim motor down if leaving it for more than a couple days.  Suzuki.  While figuring this out mechanic mentioned that a couple guys with yammies at the yard have to leave the motor leaning over to one side.  Left leaning to the other side they have oil leaking into something problems.  Might be all nonsense, I dunno.  

27 mins ago, JimW said:

I have to trim motor down if leaving it for more than a couple days.  Suzuki.  While figuring this out mechanic mentioned that a couple guys with yammies at the yard have to leave the motor leaning over to one side.  Left leaning to the other side they have oil leaking into something problems.  Might be all nonsense, I dunno.  

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I ran the engine for 10 minutes yesterday in a 55 gallon drum filled with water, I left the engine up. Today I lowered the engine and let the remaining water drip out, and I raised the engine back up for a half hour. I place a piece of cardboard under the motor and lowered the engine. It has been over 2 hours now and it is still dry. I am leaning towards a dry seal or a gasket that has been swelled back up by running the engine. I will obviously keep an eye on it and run it like it wants to be. Years ago a old lady at a boat parts store said to me

" Boat engines don't like to sit." I am a believer.

220652795_10220702469657854_526432982654

Edited by rockyoutdoors