dannyplug1

GIANT PICKEREL GAME PLAN

67 posts in this topic

I have decided to consult with the greatest fishing minds of our time.  I looking to catch the biggest pickerel in my lake, i am not looking for  spots.  I live in south east mass and have a good pond to fish.  I just need to develop a plan to catch the big pickerel.  Any Ideas lures types of water?  Help and thanks.

I mostly fly fish for them but my fishing buddies use minnow style lures, mainly floating Rapalas.  Black or blue over silver, 4 to 6 inches long.  Same color combination for poppers.  They've also had decent luck with large Mepps style in-line spinners.  26 inches is the largest one they've caught.  The biggest I've gotten with a fly rod is 21 inches.  Like oldgoat said, the edges of weed beds or lily pads.  Also check out submerged stumps or fallen timber.  If there are any beaver lodges on your lake, check them out also. 

40 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

I have decided to consult with the greatest fishing minds of our time.  I looking to catch the biggest pickerel in my lake, i am not looking for  spots.  I live in south east mass and have a good pond to fish.  I just need to develop a plan to catch the big pickerel.  Any Ideas lures types of water?  Help and thanks.

Good old... Red Devil spoon  or Mooselook wobbler spoon .. 

big top water frogs, or real live big frogs.

also live line a decent size bait fish. 

i caught my largest picky on a Rebel Pop-R with white/red haired treble.

30 inch beast!!!

4 mins ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

big top water frogs, or real live big frogs.

also live line a decent size bait fish. 

i caught my largest picky on a Rebel Pop-R with white/red haired treble.

30 inch beast!!!

Growing up we had a couple acre pond my dad dug .. Monster pickerel my largest i caught 

was 32in- 6lbs..The game wardens heard tale of these fish and thought we had pike (which is 

illegal to have in a private pond ) We told them there were no pike but they didn't believe us 

so they netted the whole pond to try and prove us wrong..They were shocked they pulled a 

pickerel out 36in.. We were laughing .. after they were done they apologized for the inconvenience 

and left... Lol 

12 mins ago, Carlezon said:

Growing up we had a couple acre pond my dad dug .. Monster pickerel my largest i caught 

was 32in- 6lbs..The game wardens heard tale of these fish and thought we had pike (which is 

illegal to have in a private pond ) We told them there were no pike but they didn't believe us 

so they netted the whole pond to try and prove us wrong..They were shocked they pulled a 

pickerel out 36in.. We were laughing .. after they were done they apologized for the inconvenience 

and left... Lol 

great story. crazy how and why they didn't believe you. bigger picks are so fun, especially in the dog days of summer. i would try big live bait if you are on a mission. hook a frog through the back leg, maybe a bluegill, small perch live lined through the dorsal fin. could be a record fish!!

1 min ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

great story. crazy how and why they didn't believe you. bigger picks are so fun, especially in the dog days of summer. i would try big live bait if you are on a mission. hook a frog through the back leg, maybe a bluegill, small perch live lined through the dorsal fin. could be a record fish!!

Yes kinda funny story..  I had a lot of friends thought I was full of crap till they caught  one for themselves.. Its not me on the mission some other guy posted asking about it .. We had a private pond so might of made some difference.. but those flashy spoons seemed to work best for me .. then 

I would work them some with a good top water rubber frog .. 

Probably a spinner bait.  Johnsons silver minnow and worm trailer. They were always elusive when it warmed up, though.  The smaller ones still ate but seem like those fat pigs only ate when it was cold.

8 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Probably a spinner bait.  Johnsons silver minnow and worm trailer. They were always elusive when it warmed up, though.  The smaller ones still ate but seem like those fat pigs only ate when it was cold.

Yes Big ones were definitely lazy bask in the sun .. Usually evening was the best time 

or when it cooled down or raining out ... 

3 mins ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

^^^^that's why I am thinking LIVE bait!!^^^

Nothing beats live bait. The problem with it is that it's hard to cover water with it.  And if you're not covering water your chances of catching a larger less common fish is a lot less.  That's why i liked the spinner bait so much. You could put a bait in front of  a lot more fish and it had just seconds to react to it.  Pigs being what they are, often times would go after it.  Yeah, sure live bait catches large fish if you put in where they're at.

I fish a lake that has large population of big picks. Largest I’ve put on tape was 29”. I’ve been trying for a 30” for years. My favorite go to bait for big picks is a large rapala suspending jerkbait. (XR12s) in perch color. Twitch, twitch, twitch, long pause.