CWitek

Brianna's :Law--Mandatory Safe Boating Course

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Brianna's Law requires everyone operating a porwer boat in New York to take a boating safety course by 2025; the requirement is being phased in over time with younger folks required to taike the class sooner than their elders.

 

Even though we fell into the oldest age group, and didn't have to take the class until 2025, my wife and I decided to bite the bullet and get it over with last weekend.  We walked into the classroom not looking forward to 8 hours of listening to things that we already knew.

 

It turned out to be a relatively painless experience.  The instructor was entertaining, knew his material, and had enough relevant stories to keep things interesting.

 

Thus, this recommendation:  If you own a boat and are going to have to take a course somewhere, look for one taught by NY Boating Safety, Inc.  Last Saturday's class was the last for the season, but they will begin again in March.  If you want to check whether there will be a class near you, you can give them a call at 516-325-1251.  I can't imagine any class being more painless than this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably shaky.  We were looking at that, because we took a Power Squadron course when after we moved toi Long Island in '83, and from what we could make out from the booklet that they gave us, that wouldn't do even if we could find the certificates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/26/2021 at 1:33 PM, CWitek said:

Probably shaky.  We were looking at that, because we took a Power Squadron course when after we moved toi Long Island in '83, and from what we could make out from the booklet that they gave us, that wouldn't do even if we could find the certificates.

I still have my certificate!

 

After over thirty years of boating I think I need to hit the books. Reminds me of when the state took away Frank Mundus' ability to operate the wheel of his charters because he wasn't able to keep up with the modern navigational introductions at that time. 

Edited by brushfly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brushfly said:

I still have my certificate!

 

After over thirty years of boating I think I need to hit the books. Reminds me of when the state took away Frank Mundus' ability to operate the wheel of his charters because he wasn't able to keep up with the modern navigational introductions of that time. 

The good news is that the test questions are actually realistic.  How to pick a life vest.  Who needs to wear a life vest between November 1 and May 1,  How old does a water ski observer need to be (OK, I would have missed that one without the class).  Nothing too obscure about day markers for dredges or similar things.

 

But as long as you have your certificate, you might as well check the web page to see whether it's good.  Saving $50 is always a good thing,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they teach not to anchor your boat 50 yards right in front of someone casting from the shore or just staying off casting distance from the shore in general when there are people fishing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Jig It said:

I hope they teach not to anchor your boat 50 yards right in front of someone casting from the shore or just staying off casting distance from the shore in general when there are people fishing. 

 

Not a boating safety issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Copied from the NY State Parks website:

Q.:  I earned a state safety certificate when I was young. Does that count?

A.:  It depends on when you took the course, whether you still have a copy of your original certificate, and whether you were under 18 years of age when you earned the certificate. We do not have all course records prior to 2000. Certificates issued prior to 2000 were only valid if issued to someone under the age of 18. Any certificate issued prior to 2000 is only acceptable if you have a copy of it and you were under 18 years of age when it was issued. All NYS boating safety certificates issued after 2000, regardless of age, are acceptable.

 

I took the USCGA course during adult education at my local high school in approximately 1978, still have the certificate (and a photo taken with the aux. commandant and the town councilman.)    Terrific course, went into knots, navigation with charts, compasses etc.   That won't count.  But I took a useless course with the NCPD Marine bureau in 2009 which was geared to children wanting to take out daddy's PWC.   100s on both tests.   Albany sends me a plastic card/cerificate.   That is acceptable.  smdh...

Edited by pequa11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, pequa11 said:

Copied from the NY State Parks website:

Q.:  I earned a state safety certificate when I was young. Does that count?

A.:  It depends on when you took the course, whether you still have a copy of your original certificate, and whether you were under 18 years of age when you earned the certificate. We do not have all course records prior to 2000. Certificates issued prior to 2000 were only valid if issued to someone under the age of 18. Any certificate issued prior to 2000 is only acceptable if you have a copy of it and you were under 18 years of age when it was issued. All NYS boating safety certificates issued after 2000, regardless of age, are acceptable.

 

I took the USCGA course during adult education at my local high school in approximately 1978, still have the certificate (and a photo taken with the aux. commandant and the town councilman.)    Terrific course, went into knots, navigation with charts, compasses etc.   That won't count.  But I took a useless course with the NCPD Marine bureau in 2009 which was geared to children wanting to take out daddy's PWC.   100s on both tests.   Albany sends me a plastic card/cerificate.   That is acceptable.  smdh...

Thanks for this, I took one in 2006-07 and was wondering if I had to take it again. Just need to find my card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I carry the plastic card year round.   I wish I had done the same with my bow hunting safety course card.  Now I can't find it.     Although Albany verified on the phone I am good to go, I have only hunted with shotguns and never bought the extra license.  Now that I am a lifetime sportsmans license holder (meaning I hit age 70, whew), I have to rely on that if stopped by a DEC officer if I ever do use my bow for deer.  One can have all those little emblems and icons added to their drivers license but I don't really like the "big brother' intrusions much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

I wonder if this applies to motorized kayaks?

I have no practical knowledge about kayaks and how they are powered, and don't even know if a "motorized" kayak is powered by a gas engine or electric motor.

 

But the law applies to all operators of "motorized vessels," so a motorized kayak might be included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

I wonder if this applies to motorized kayaks?

Looks like it.   No distinction seemingly made between electric and gas motors.

From the same NY parks website (underlining mine);

'Operators of sailboats, kayaks, standup paddleboards, rowboats, canoes and any other watercraft without a motor are not required to have a boating safety certificate to be on the water. However, it is always a good idea to take a boating course. You can find an on-the-water paddling course in many areas of the state or you may want to begin with one of these online programs:"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.