drP1107

Troll or cast?

20 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, drP1107 said:

Do you guys prefer to troll or cast while fishing from your kayak? or both?

I like casting for it's own sake and fish the flats.  Trolling doesn't work there because fish will spook as you paddle over them.  My son trolls the edges of the reefs and channels.  He catches more than I do, but he catches trevally and I catch bonefish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Both.  I fish for stripers and blues in the summer (while waiting impatiently for fall and albies).  I generally have different spots I want to hit depending on where I launched.  I will troll from spot to spot, and once there I will start casting.  If I connect while trolling, I will mark the spot and try casting for awhile.  Trolling is a great way to prospect.  But once you find the fish, I like to concentrate on "the spot" by casting.

All that said, if I find birds, its casting 100%

Edited by Jeff270

I don't troll anymore. I prefer tossing rubber the majority of my bass fishing. It does not mean you can't catch large trolling. It doesn't mean one method better than the other. It's just where I am at, for now. 

When traveling from one location to another I will always drag a lure. I don’t understand why someone wouldn’t. It is another opportunity to catch a fish and it doesn’t cost you a thing. You are already traveling at a trolling speed because there is no other choice besides slow and slower. May as well increase the chances of catching a fish. Not my preferred method of catching them but I would rather catch fish than not catch fish. Maybe that makes me weird? 

Both, depends on target species.

Stripers along the Bridge Tunnel Pylons:  troll the light lines always between midnight and sunrise.  Works very, very  well.

Bluefish:  troll

Speckled Trout: Troll or in the sunset timeframe will cast top water

Chain Picks:  Troll small jerkbaits

Panfish: troll a bettlespin under a bobber, works exceptionally well.   Will have two out each side different depths and colors.   Slay em that way and its fun!    Almost always catch everything else that way as well

Everything else, cast.

Have some debilitating upper body issues (Neck, shoulders, elbows...) and casting can cause problems and pain for days after

I get bored easily so I usually keep my casting or jigging to a minimum, and I'm always trolling around covering as much water as possible. I will start casting if I get into a good group of fast fish, birds, etc. however, but I'm a troller through and through. Caught my biggest fish (sailfish, striper, blue, etc) trolling but I do like bait fishing structure for fish like sheepshead or blue catfish, tough to get them through other methods. I have caught some monster catfish while trolling though, and as others have said, why not troll when you're moving spot to spot? I guess if you're crossing busy channels it's best to not have any lines in, but otherwise, more time fishing usually means more success.

On my first kayak I trolled tube and worm because I didn't have a fishfinder, and the smaller tubes are deadly near me. Once I find fish consistently in an area I've been switching to plugs/rubber/eels. New kayak has a fishfinder so going to troll until I find schools of bait then try to snag and drop, or troll until I find good structure. 

I probably troll 80% of the time while fishing stripers unless they are blitzing or the jig bite is producing more. I also prefer to troll for musky on the kayak to save ware on my shoulders.

I prefer to cast, but if I am paddling, why not troll?  I have a casting rod and a trolling rod.  If you are paddling (not peddling) tighten the drag on the trolling rod so the fish hooks itself.  

On 7/26/2021 at 8:46 PM, Flip n Dip said:

When traveling from one location to another I will always drag a lure. I don’t understand why someone wouldn’t. It is another opportunity to catch a fish and it doesn’t cost you a thing. You are already traveling at a trolling speed because there is no other choice besides slow and slower. May as well increase the chances of catching a fish. Not my preferred method of catching them but I would rather catch fish than not catch fish. Maybe that makes me weird? 

Yup. Picked up one of my best fish this summer traveling to a spot. Just before it hit, I thought to myself that I will never catch out here— no structure and deeper water. Been using a 6 inch, unweighted sluggo rigged weedless. Will troll with rod in hand (love to feel the taps and the buttoning up)  twitching lure periodically,  get to spot, reel in and start casting. Same rod and lure. Catches big and small. Make a mental note of bumps and hook ups and give those areas more attention on the return. Still prefer to catch while casting, but when fish are in follow mode, trolling through the spot can be more productive and less frustrating then watching fish after fish follow the lure back the boat and spook away.