melhado93

Help! Vs gurus. Looking for van staal vs250g reel foot info

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have a vs250g I purchased used for a year and the reel foot screw stripped out and now is flopping around. It’s the 2 screw reel foot. Any help is appreciated. Was thinking about tapping the hole in the foot to the next size up but not sure if I should get that far into it before checking to see if anyone has the part and is willing to part with it. I’d prefer to find a gold foot but at this point I’ll take any color. Thanks again. Located on Long Island and willing to pick up. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 7/25/2021 at 10:28 PM, melhado93 said:

I have a vs250g I purchased used for a year and the reel foot screw stripped out and now is flopping around. It’s the 2 screw reel foot. Any help is appreciated. Was thinking about tapping the hole in the foot to the next size up but not sure if I should get that far into it before checking to see if anyone has the part and is willing to part with it. I’d prefer to find a gold foot but at this point I’ll take any color. Thanks again. Located on Long Island and willing to pick up. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

If you want to go this route 

Have the hole tig welded then a machinist drill and tap 

Or use jb weld. :D

jb weld would not hold in this case.

1. hole tig welded then a machinist drill and tap  ,,, this process going to take some works to get it correct. 

2. faster option would just go next size up.,, then you would need to make sure that the end of the screw is sitting flush inside the body , so that the gear would not touch the screw.

8 mins ago, avet4life said:

what did you do ?

or what part did you add to the holes ?

Comes in all sizes USA and Metric

11.JPG

16 mins ago, avet4life said:

what did you do ?

or what part did you add to the holes ?

Comes in all sizes USA and Metric

I used a 8-32 Helicoil kit, I ground down the drill bit to create a bottoming bit and then did the same with the tap. I used marine 5200 to seal the reel stem to the body and then used some loctite for the screws. Don’t plan on taking that reel stem off again....hopefully. Caught a few fish in the 30-35” range on it since i repaired it and it seems to be holding up. Thanks again for all the reply’s on ideas of what to do.