Paulie Poker

Penn Mag 525

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you guys have heard about the Penn 525 Mag 4. It’s available in the UK but not here in the states. I am wondering why Penn has decided not to make it available here. 

3 hours ago, Paulie Poker said:

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you guys have heard about the Penn 525 Mag 4. It’s available in the UK but not here in the states. I am wondering why Penn has decided not to make it available here. 

Its a Squall II in a blue dress.

19 hours ago, Paulie Poker said:

I thought the same thing. Much rather have my squall in blue than black and gold lol. The blue color looks much sharper.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was checking the mag4’s out on the bay.But I wound up getting a good deal on a Squall ll 15 SDCS at BPS in AC.As far as I understand it the UK 525 mag 4 is the equivalent to the Squall ll 15 SDCS not the Squall 15SD.

Edited by ExcessiveAngler

18 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Its a Squall II in a blue dress.

Not true...I've owned all releases and IMO the Mag4 is superior to Mag2 and 3. It has improved graphite cage with extra bracing between reel foot and crossbars with greater rigidity. The mag adjuster is improved for the hearing impaired. The handle seems to offer more cranking power...just a couple of things I've noticed...yet to give it a good test on the field.

Edited by dcast

5 hours ago, dcast said:

Not true...I've owned all releases and IMO the Mag4 is superior to Mag2 and 3. It has improved graphite cage with extra bracing between reel foot and crossbars with greater rigidity. The mag adjuster is improved for the hearing impaired. The handle seems to offer more cranking power...just a couple of things I've noticed...yet to give it a good test on the field.

Squall II (two). is the new one So it is improved I would hope over the Squall I (One)

ie mag 4 is an improvement over Mag 3.

Bracing looks indentical, but I may be wrong

Penn 525 Mag 4.jpg

Penn Squall II 15 DCS 02.jpg

Edited by ZAFisher

Nice reels ,akios has some long range cast reels …if you can find a diawa mag 7 ht it will throw as far as any reel out there …but you can’t get dirt or dunk these reels ….

5 hours ago, FlatWing said:

I wish the Squall II sold here had a knobby mag control.

You can buy the knobby mag bits and pieces and swap them out. Penn folks here on SOL said you could swap the knobby on the DCS version for the dial. Cannot see why reverse would not work.

3 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

You can buy the knobby mag bits and pieces and swap them out. Penn folks here on SOL said you could swap the knobby on the DCS version for the dial. Cannot see why reverse would not work.

I still fish two original USA made 525's that I modified for Knobby Mag control of the magnet carriage, and ceramic bearings w/o side plates. I also have an all original one sitting on the shelf.  But it is nice to know about the dial swap out if I ever have the need for a 515 Squall II.

5 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Nice reels ,akios has some long range cast reels …if you can find a diawa mag 7 ht it will throw as far as any reel out there …but you can’t get dirt or dunk these reels ….

I have the Daiwa Tournament Millionaire 7ht Mag - I use it for LC metal/tin work with delivery of Flatwing Teasers at 250-300feet.  However, it does not have the line capacity near to that of the 525mag, so I only use 50lb Suffix Braid on it, vice the 15lb Suffix Siege or Elite Mono that I prefer for Bait-and-Wait fishing with up to 175 grams.  Mono, I find, is much less prone to abrasion when lying in the sand/broken clam shells for extended periods of time. I do not know why you would want to dunk a reel that you have to line lay with your thumb, instead of using a VS, VR, Zee Bass or Penn Torque II

Edited by FlatWing

You would be surprised at some of the things people do to reels ….the montauck folks seem to be the some of the toughest on reels ..wading out to rocks and standing on them can be disasterous to rod and reel …and then there’s always a rogue wave…

ive had 515 mag3s and 4s.  sold the 3s here.

sadly penn doesnt really market them (squall) much because surf fishing is really a minor market.

however, they are nice strong reels just like the original 525s.

mag 3 and 4 have steel gears. so in theory, last a lifetime.

over last 15 years, i still cant get use to the gear case. 

so each time it new gen came out, i got it, fished it. then sold it again.

if penn got a clue and just tilted the gear forward a bit more for finger clearance.

itd be gold.

the knobby suck btw.

theyll find someway to dig into your wrist.
stick with the regular flat knob.

the mag carriage is the same, do not think its different like a knobby monomag.

Edited by ooeric