nightfighter

Throw ring device?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

a meet the requirements or an actual throw ring?

I could always tie 1/8" paracord to a USCG rated cushion and call it a day, but am interested in knowing what is out there that works and stores well. And I would rather just be in compliance on all counts with no questions nor room for interpretation.... 

best is going to be a jim buoy set up w/ a line - usually hung on a mounted hook.

similarly a good horseshoe buoy set up.

either is top level throwable safety but neither is very storage/stow friendly other than on its mounted hook. 

FWIW we were checked by the CG six weeks ago everything was good. Only issue our throw able life preserver was stowed which was incorrect.

22 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

FWIW we were checked by the CG six weeks ago everything was good. Only issue our throw able life preserver was stowed which was incorrect.

exactly.

a good throwable is not made to be stowable - its made to be in a spot that may be convenient but is also easy to access quickly.

I’ve got a Jim Buoy on a Sea Sucker utility hook on the front of the console. Easy access in the type of situation you’d need it in.

Crappy picture but it gives you an idea

BBE6C60A-631A-4888-A56B-BC6C7C69D2B5.jpeg.21cd1cb6c7b39a011714e99d357faeaf.jpeg

"throwable PFD" is what the requirement is looking for....  After doing a google search  for "throwable PFD" the only product I see designed to fit the bill is the Throwraft, at $150. So it goes from a cushion, to a solid life ring, to a horse shoe....  

When I had a boat, a 17' dual console which was close quarters for two people. Equipped with two throw able cushions, one I sat on the other stored connected to 50' yellow (poly I think) floating line. Always thought about the wind or a bad toss plus if it was a bad spot it gave you some standoff room. Also had a large stainless snap which gave it a little weight.

A seat cushion for the Coast Guard, a Throw Bag for the rescue.... just velcro strap it to your t-top so it's in a good spot to grab fast.

So far I keep the throw bag and they accept it. I am sure sooner or later one will make me get a ring.