melhado93

Looking for a vs250g reel foot HELP!

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a vs250g I purchased used for a year and the reel foot screw stripped out and now is flopping around. It’s the 2 screw reel foot. Any help is appreciated. Was thinking about tapping the hole in the foot to the next size up but not sure if I should get that far into it before checking to see if anyone has the part and is willing to part with it. I’d prefer to find a gold foot but at this point I’ll take any color. Thanks again. Located on Long Island and willing to pick up. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by melhado93
Location added

You should post your reel issue in the Reel Maintenance & Repair forum. There's a member here by the name of LB whose very knowledgable with VS reels and lurks alot in that forum

5 mins ago, melhado93 said:

Thank you for the info I’ll move the post. 

i would find biger screw and when you have biger screw ,tap that with same type tred.

I think a Helicoil will work.  My only worry would be about the wall thickness that is left over after you drill the hole, but it looks like you have enough.   You buy the same size  and the screw the reel normally uses. Dont go up in size.  You use the supplied drill and you drill the hole oversize.  The Helicoil threads into the hole and you break off the installation tang and the screw threads into the new threads created by the Helicoil.  I've Helicoiled aluminum engine heads to small aluminum parts that took 4-40 screws.