ermghoti

Neoprene Neck Gasket Tried to Kill Me

24 posts in this topic

I've worn the drysuit before, and the neck was uncomfortable. I'd pull it over my jaw to give my circulatory system a break, and it seemed to relax for a few minutes, then I'd repeat. I guess last night I stayed out longer, or maybe the warmer temperatures factored in, but the gasket was murder. The relief from breaks got shorter, and my jaw and neck muscles started cramping from the effort of resisting the elasticity. After a couple hours, my arms started cramping a little, and I had a bit of growing nausea, so I quit.

I'm giving up on "organically" allowing the gasket to stretch on its own. If I'm going to jam an object in there and leave it, should I select something the same diameter as my neck, smaller, larger?

I swear, these things were made for ET!   I swore it was going to tear my ears off.  They now flop around like giant lettuce leaves.   Anyway, I stretched mine over a giant can of tomatoes.  One of the restaurant sized ones. (#10?).

Posted (edited) · Report post

Put the suit in the closet till November lol. Use something inflatable to stretch it. Powder or cornstarch will help if you stuff a jar or container in there.

Edited by cheech

1 hour ago, chewy2000913 said:

Get a semi dry top

I have. With temps headed for the mid-sixties, I figured I could justify the suit, and not have to pile up towels to drive home.

1 hour ago, Jeff270 said:

I swear, these things were made for ET!   I swore it was going to tear my ears off.  They now flop around like giant lettuce leaves.   Anyway, I stretched mine over a giant can of tomatoes.  One of the restaurant sized ones. (#10?).

I've been eyeballing a tub of oatmeal.

Just now, ermghoti said:

Neoprene.

I bet if you called a surf or dive shop, they could tell you what to do. 

I wonder if this is what the "enlightened" feel like when the talk about a "rebirth experience"? 

2 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

I wonder if this is what the "enlightened" feel like when the talk about a "rebirth experience"? 

Welp. I'm never getting that image out of my head.

I used to paddle whitewater and while I never had this issue, it was a common problem in the whitewater kayaking community.  Stretching and trimming the gaskets is common.  It is also possible to replace them, and if I remember correct, you can get larger sizes.  

12 mins ago, gnihsif said:

I used to paddle whitewater and while I never had this issue, it was a common problem in the whitewater kayaking community.  Stretching and trimming the gaskets is common.  It is also possible to replace them, and if I remember correct, you can get larger sizes.  

I hadn't thought of replacement; I kind of figured they were a universal item irrespective of the garment size. I have a medium, it fits my height/frame, and I have a somewhat slender neck (14.5?), so it's odd this is a problem.

4 mins ago, ermghoti said:

I hadn't thought of replacement; I kind of figured they were a universal item irrespective of the garment size. I have a medium, it fits my height/frame, and I have a somewhat slender neck (14.5?), so it's odd this is a problem.

after rereading I see the neck gasket is neoprene.  if thats the case, based on what I was taught about dry suits, your suit would be a semi-dry.  A full dry suit would have a latex or similar rubber gasket.  I know latex and rubber gaskets can be modified, but unsure about how you would work with the neoprene gasket.

11 hours ago, gnihsif said:

after rereading I see the neck gasket is neoprene.  if thats the case, based on what I was taught about dry suits, your suit would be a semi-dry.  A full dry suit would have a latex or similar rubber gasket.  I know latex and rubber gaskets can be modified, but unsure about how you would work with the neoprene gasket.

It's a Stohlquist EZ Drysuit. I've seen it advertised as dry and semi-dry. I've gone swimming to test it, and had no intrusion, but I'm also not expecting it to be a survival suit.