CTFishingMan

Suggestions needed for a small lighter that can stay lit on the water.

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I need a lighter that I can light on the water, to melt tag ends. A normal bic won't do the job, it just goes out.

Suggestions?

torch lighters can handle wind... but they will burn your lips off if you aren't careful while trying to light a pipe.

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, CTFishingMan said:

I need a lighter that I can light on the water, to melt tag ends. A normal bic won't do the job, it just goes out.

Suggestions?

As mentioned good old Zippo! 

bad thing about butane lighters is in the cold they don't work!

Put one in the freezer or leave it in the car during colder days and you will find that it does not light ,a zipper will light even if you put it in the freezer all night long, I have even dropped mine in the kitchen sink and it was totally underwater I pick it up shake it off and flip it and light it and lights.

And this picture my normal lighter than I carry everywhere with me cuz I like cigars and the big one I carry with me when I'm in my late fall mode fishing and it keeps me warm as well, I just light it for a short while the whole thing gets warm I put it back in my pocket and keeps my hands warm as well as lights my cigars.

HH 

IMG_20210725_234131.jpg.c9dec4520bbcf691c87fde8dc243a508.jpg

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

13 hours ago, triumph said:

torch lighters can handle wind... but they will burn your lips off if you aren't careful while trying to light a pipe.

Richard Pryor joke in there

Get quality butane that way it will always fire... **** butane after awhile = torch that doesn't light 

go to a 7-11 or any gas station mart and buy the cheap torch they sell near the cash register. for $5-8 you get a single flame torch with a minorly adjustable flame that will do the trick and then some. should be refillable too but quality as scooby suggests. best thing about them, if you lose it or it gets doused and the piezo stops sparking, you are only out $5-8 rather than $25+ for a real MicroTorch or better brand. 

I smoke fine cigars, have many lighters, some very expensive like my St DuPont collection.

Having said that.. Get a USA made Zippo. I prefer the thicker metal ones, I forget what they’re labeled as, but they’re much better than the usual thin metal ones, they cost more too. Then add yourself a zippo torch insert, and use a quality butane, no Ronson or other cheapo butane. The zippo will last you forever, and if it doesn’t.. they have a great warranty, and fix em right up.