Crabalanche

NH Salt Reports

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Haven't been here in awhile but life has allowed me to get back on the water this year. I fish the Great Bay estuary from Newmarket to New Castle and all points in-between. Strange year. The June run was great but fizzled quickly. Lots of fish slurping juvenile herring on the outgoing tide. Since then, things have been SLOW with dawn presenting terns working over small schoolies and nighttime excursions producing 3 to 4 fish of the 16 to 20 inch range. I fish flies and soft plastics. Anyone having better luck?

Like you I had a good June with fish in the marshes up to 26", then it all went to hell. I pick up a couple fish each outing but small. Hearing reports of blues at PI so might head down there this week. My best days have been on size 1 craft fur minnows in olive over tan, olive over white and pink over white maybe 4" long. Big deceivers in spots where that fly is usually money, haven't been happening for me at all this year. My buddies out of Newfields are having similar results, misery loves company I guess...

I went out last weekend from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. with nothing to show for it. First skunk of the year. That being said, my last three trips out only had me bringing in two or three fish in the 12 to 16 in range. Fished my spots in Great Bay and little Bay with soft plastics. I'm going to try out towards New Castle this weekend.

Skunked in Hampton Harbor last night too. Lots of people fishing, nobody catching. Seems to be the pattern lately. Heading up for some largemouth bass for a couple weeks maybe things will change..

8 hours ago, stormy monday said:

Skunked in Hampton Harbor last night too. Lots of people fishing, nobody catching. Seems to be the pattern lately. Heading up for some largemouth bass for a couple weeks maybe things will change..

I am curious was that the incoming or outgoing??  I have been catching fish mostly on the incoming as the water warms in the summer.But I am using a boat and bait so its kind of cheating...cooler waters seem to be bringing biting fish mostly 26 inches or so..

Posted (edited) · Report post

went out with a guide yesterday from Kittery Point.  two fly fisherman for 4 hours plus starting at 6:00 a.m. and we got one dink, two small pollack and somehow managed to hook a small flounder.  but....it was a nice day for a boat ride.

Edited by srm413

There  are good and bad days now, a good might  be a few fish. Next few weeks will be telltale as to what might make or break your spirit. Lots of stories about banner days, no pictures and my daily group of guys, no one is seeing much.:rav:

4 hours ago, striperstalker2 said:

I am curious was that the incoming or outgoing??  I have been catching fish mostly on the incoming as the water warms in the summer.But I am using a boat and bait so its kind of cheating...cooler waters seem to be bringing biting fish mostly 26 inches or so..

Incoming but from shore, which honestly for me is usually the worst tide. I did see bird action with splashes out where boats were for a brief spell, maybe 5 minutes. Usually on the incoming I do better up in the marshes but hearing bluefish reports from the 'Mac convinced me to check things out further down. Even the better spots in the marshes lately have been low 20" at best though. Once my house is sold I'll have more time to hike in to my better spots hopefully that will change things up!

You really never know unless in you are in the water. Always was outgoing in rivers, incoming on beaches. I started fishing a few years ago when i usually wouldnt to avoid the crowds and jack arses, done pretty well.

21 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

You really never know unless in you are in the water. Always was outgoing in rivers, incoming on beaches. I started fishing a few years ago when i usually wouldnt to avoid the crowds and jack arses, done pretty well.

^^This. Rules of thumb were never meant to be followed slavishly. Changes in beach or river structure over time often dictate the best tides. So its a good idea to change things up occasionally. 

Was at a popular boat launch on the Maine side of the Piscataqua River yesterday and saw gulls and cormorants hitting the water and working a school of fish. This was midday which I thought was interesting. Went today at about 3:00 p.m. and they were still there. First time I have seen a blitz in a while and we caught about a half dozen fish in the 18 to 24 in range. Things have been so slow lately that this was a blessing.

Absolutely. Fished the Piscatqua this morning from 5:30 to 8. Ring-billed gulls and cormorants were all fired up and so were the fish. Landed a dozen or so on flies and soft plastics. Biggest fish was maybe 24". Beautiful morning, less water traffic than we had in June and July and bait was everywhere. 

On 8/14/2021 at 7:11 PM, bdowning said:

^^^It's starting. The fall crawl, that is. :shaky:

Seems to be.  Last 6-7 years for me, second week of Aug to first week of Sept has been the best save for a few epic late June blitzes, and one oddball late OCT big fish run 4 years back.

Best meaning, highest probability of bigger fish and consistent feeding activity.  

Its been a solid week or so with several bigger above slot fish and more angry upper twenties

seems to be more organization.

to all the madness..

tight lines.

Jim

Fishing has still been good in the mornings, with double digit numbers being caught on soft plastics and flies. Fished some industrial New Hampshire sites along the river and managed a few close to 28 but not quite there. A lot of people are talking about how horrible the fishing  is this year, but it took me 5 years to catch my first two striped bass in the 80s, so I keep things in perspective. Love the fishery and the fishery will love you back.