rreelman

spiral wrap

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

looking for advice from the rod pros-I am looking to have a 11ft.conventional rod built-would a spiral wrap work on the rod? {bad hands} would the layout affect casting distance? thanks in advance-rreelman

There are many styles of spiral wrapping, the Ralph O'Quinn method has long been a favorite of surfcasters. Most of my fishing is done where max. distance is not an issue, so I use a different method. The difference is probably in the 2 % range max with my spirals.

The advantage of a spiral wrap is primarily for fish fighting.  It prevents the rod for twisting when under load. Also, as I suffer from arthritis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands, the spiral wrap is very effective in eliminating stress on my hands.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:47 AM, rreelman said:

would a spiral wrap work on the rod? {bad hands}

Yes. 

On 7/25/2021 at 11:47 AM, rreelman said:

lwould the layout affect casting distance?

With a bad setup: yes. 
With a good spiral setup: no, it will cast just as far as doing it the conventional (guides-on-top) way. 

As the fine gentlemen above noted, the O'Quinn-style spiral is the one that most surf guys, including me, have come to favor on surf rods. I did a fairly lengthy post about it a few years ago -- I will see if I can find it, because it has a fairly detailed breakdown of the way that I do it (and I don't wanna write that again). 

Thank you Belmo-lots of good info -do most rod builders know of the O'QUINN method?-how many guides on a 11ft. blank-using the gradual method?I want to use old carbide guides-are they practable?-thanks again for the info--rreelman

Belmo, I studied your notes in great detail when doing my O'Quinn spirals on several 8'6''-9'6'' casting rods and have found them to cast every bit as far as my other spinning setups, if not a little further (the inherent baitcaster advantage as I'm sure you know). 50lb braid tranx 500 gets just as far as a 30lb braid torque 5. Thank you for the write-ups, you've saved me and surely others from months of trial and error to figure it out the hard way. 

2 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Belmo, I studied your notes in great detail when doing my O'Quinn spirals on several 8'6''-9'6'' casting rods and have found them to cast every bit as far as my other spinning setups, if not a little further (the inherent baitcaster advantage as I'm sure you know). 50lb braid tranx 500 gets just as far as a 30lb braid torque 5. Thank you for the write-ups, you've saved me and surely others from months of trial and error to figure it out the hard way. 

If you can make a mistake, or go down a blind alley, I've done it! :D

That's all this stuff is, really: trial and error. If one is willing to put in the time, one can come up with as good as rod as someone who has done it many times. It will just take longer. To the extent that my own screwups -- I mean research :D -- can save others time, I'm happy to do it, if only because others, like Charlie, were kind enough to do the same for me.