RedGreen

Slammer IV DX CNC stainless gears question

61 posts in this topic

Can a Penn rep confirm/deny that the pinion and drive gear of the Slammer IV DX are both stainless, not a stainless/brass combination? 

5 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Thanks, Jim. I'm eager to see/handle one when they are available. 

You're not the only one. :D 

There are a couple of things about the new Slammer IV series, in particular the DX models, that intrigue me:

We will (presumably) be able to upgrade existing Slammer III reels to the stainless gears. I'm guessing the gears will not be cheap, but being able to swap out the old brass gears for stainless is an unmitigated good thing. 

It's a similar deal with the bailless 5500: if one has a Slammer III 5500, as I do, one can, with the purchase of a new part (the rotor, I'm assuming), make it bailless. In fact, upgrading it to bailless, and to stainless steel gears, might make it the best surf spinning reel on the planet.... :idea: 

I think I have a few things to think about. :D

2 mins ago, Belmo said:

In fact, upgrading it to bailless, and to stainless steel gears, might make it the best surf spinning reel on the planet.... :idea: 

Doubtless you can put steel gears in the bailess model. However if the new pinion seal won't seal off that area to water intrusion a la Shimano "SW" reels like the spheros up to the Stella, there is no point. I'm awaiting schematics to see what the seal actually looks like. If it's comparable to the saragosa, and the steel gears aren't chinesium like a lot of the brass gears made during covid were, Penn just blew everyone else off the map in their price range. 

35 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Penn just blew everyone else off the map in their price range. 

I'm shocked that the upgrade to the stainless gears, from the regular model to the DX, is only $30. If this is, as you note, real stainless, a better question is who wouldn't pay an extra 30 clams for stainless gears? :huh: 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Steel is harder to machine than brass, stainless especially so since it can harden in response to dull or worn tools. It is harder and significantly more resistant to abrasion and wear than any brass. 

Good quality stainless steel in a well designed and manufactured gear will be basically inert to anything anyone can do to them within the scope of a fishing reel.

The gears in my makaira 10000 show only faint rub marks, nothing even remotely close to actual wear. The steel gears in my fathom lever drag have only gotten smoother with use despite pushing the reel past it's specced max drag of 33lbs. I have total confidence both gearsets will be basically unaffected in 10 years of use. By comparison, the excellent gearing in my Shimano tranx 400 lost it's smoothness when pushed to max specced drag of 22lbs. I have total confidence in saying that if they used steel instead and did a good job designing and manufacturing those gears to still be quiet and smooth, they would have been totally unaffected. 

If Penn does these slammer IV DX gears right, and there aren't other weak links, there will be nothing else that can compete with the new slammers for absolute durability and longevity within their price point. If the seal added beneath the pinion does what I am hoping for too... Wow. Just wow. 

Edited by RedGreen

56 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Steel is harder to machine than brass, stainless especially so since it can harden in response to dull or worn tools. It is harder and significantly more resistant to abrasion and wear than any brass. 

Good quality stainless steel in a well designed and manufactured gear will be basically inert to anything anyone can do to them within the scope of a fishing reel.

The gears in my makaira 10000 show only faint rub marks, nothing even remotely close to actual wear. The steel gears in my fathom lever drag have only gotten smoother with use despite pushing the reel past it's specced max drag of 33lbs. I have total confidence both gearsets will be basically unaffected in 10 years of use. By comparison, the excellent gearing in my Shimano tranx 400 lost it's smoothness when pushed to max specced drag of 22lbs. I have total confidence in saying that if they used steel instead and did a good job designing and manufacturing those gears to still be quiet and smooth, they would have been totally unaffected. 

If Penn does these slammer IV DX gears right, and there aren't other weak links, there will be nothing else that can compete with the new slammers for absolute durability and longevity within their price point. If the seal added beneath the pinion does what I am hoping for too... Wow. Just wow. 

That was a superior post. Thank you. :th:

4 hours ago, shark lobster said:

I think the brass gears in the 3 are fine but the drag sure needs upgrading 

Can you elaborate on what part of the drag needs upgrading?

Ben

25 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

Can you elaborate on what part of the drag needs upgrading?

Ben

I don't get that either. The drag on the Slammer is superb. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2021/07/26 at 6:00 PM, Belmo said:

who wouldn't pay an extra 30 clams for stainless gears

Dealers only ie no Amazon, no ebay...

Impatient shoppers who want instant gratification and unreasonable warranty's ie "I WANT IT YESTERDAY WITH FREE SHIPPING AND IT GOES BUMP AT THE TOP AND BOTTOM AND IT FEELS GEARY SO DONT LIKE IT SO ITS TERRIBLE AND I STAMP MY FEET " need not apply and will have to make do with the lesser brass/stainess option.

Edited by ZAFisher

3 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Dealers only ie no Amazon, no ebay...

Impatient shoppers who want instant gratification and unreasonable warranty's ie "I WANT IT YESTERDAY WITH FREE SHIPPING AND IT GOES BUMP AT THE TOP AND BOTTOM AND I DONT LIKE IT SO ITS TERRIBLE AND I STAMP MY FEET " need not apply and will have to make do with the lesser brass/stainess.

Lol. Well said. Also, brass/brass. Even stainless pinion and brass drive would be a solid upgrade.