NJTramcar

Looking for a new bank, recommendations?

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, CWitek said:

Minimum service is never good.

I want a back that maximizes customer service, instead of running a bare-bones organization where everything comes with a charge.

My business bank drives me nuts. Charges for nearly everything, including something I've never seen before - depositing cash. I've looked into switching numerous times but the grass isn't really greener elsewhere. Plus we get a break on our mortgage loan by having a deposit account there. Still pisses me off when I see that cash depositing charge.  

49 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

My business bank drives me nuts. Charges for nearly everything, including something I've never seen before - depositing cash. I've looked into switching numerous times but the grass isn't really greener elsewhere. Plus we get a break on our mortgage loan by having a deposit account there. Still pisses me off when I see that cash depositing charge.  

Exactly the sort of thing that I'm talking about.

It's another example of what happens when big business gets too big, consumer choices are limited, and smaller operations can no longer compete.

In short, it's another example of why the government needs to aggressively apply antitrust laws to protect the public interest.

Currently w/Bank of America.  Just received a notice they will no longer allow people to use paper checks.  I wrote about 6 a year but don't know how I will able to go w/o the ability to write checks.  Time for a new bank.  

I recommend USAA to anyone that can join (veterans and family of veterans). We have our checking/savings and car/home/property insurance and I've used them for car loans too. 

They are great to work with on everything I've used them for, no annoying fees, great fraud protection (which I've needed a few times) and responsive customer service. They even refund your ATM charges up to $20/mo. 

The only drawback is they have no physical branches, everything is online or over the phone.  

I also would recommend USAA. My card was compromised and they shut my account down and quickly notified me. Within a day the had reimbursed any withdrawals. I also have a local bank but don't use it much.

5 mins ago, Lurp66 said:

I also would recommend USAA. My card was compromised and they shut my account down and quickly notified me. Within a day the had reimbursed any withdrawals. I also have a local bank but don't use it much.

Yep same happened to me and wife once each. They shut it down right away and I had a replacement debit card in my mailbox about 24 hours later. 

We are now with Investors Bank for both mortgage and banking. Other banks were asses when we were trying to purchase in 2012, IB were totally competent and professional on every call. Later, Cap 1's customer service was so incompetent we moved our business banking there. They're small, but if you have one near or can deal with a non-local bank, check them out. 

Edited by gellfex

On 7/28/2021 at 2:27 PM, PaulS said:

Currently w/Bank of America.  Just received a notice they will no longer allow people to use paper checks.  I wrote about 6 a year but don't know how I will able to go w/o the ability to write checks.  Time for a new bank.  

Paul

Actually they are not eliminating paper checks.  They are eliminating the ability to write a check on savings accounts.  I believe they were the only bank that let someone write a check on a savings account.  That is usually limited to money markets and checking accounts.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:27 PM, PaulS said:

Read the letter again before you move to a new bank... Every month I get reward for using their credit cards. No fees...Branches are everywhere...free notary services..great customer service...

7 hours ago, 31BBert said:

Paul

Actually they are not eliminating paper checks.  They are eliminating the ability to write a check on savings accounts.  I believe they were the only bank that let someone write a check on a savings account.  That is usually limited to money markets and checking accounts.

I'll have to check that out thank you

On 7/26/2021 at 1:54 PM, Maine Guide said:

I’ve been with TD for a lot of years  

Used B of A, Citizens, well Fargo previously. Had problems with the others. 

No issues with TD and no monthly fees with direct deposit. 

It's TD for me too. 

On 7/28/2021 at 2:16 PM, CWitek said:

In short, it's another example of why the government needs to aggressively apply antitrust laws to protect the public interest.

Or, an enterprising entrepreneur can find a way to provide those services and win the customers who are fed up with the alternatives. 

Just now, Kings over Queens said:

Or, an enterprising entrepreneur can find a way to provide those services and win the customers who are fed up with the alternatives. 

That’s the point of anti-trust laws; to break up anticompetitive structures so that new businesses can get a toehold.  

Becausecwhen we’re talking about a new bank, unlike a sowftware company or retailer, we’re talking about a cash commitment that any goes beyond any interest be entrepreneur’s capabilities.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:26 PM, NJTramcar said:

I will try my credit union but there are only 3 branches in the state, none local. 

If the rate is good though, I may go there.

I worked at Pfizer in Groton CT, I joined the credit union in 1981. I have not lived near it since 2000. I now live in South Carolina and that one branch in CT is still my bank.

Most CU's do what they called share branching, there are numerous credit unions here that charge me nothing to use and I can go in and do anything I could do at my branch, except for the drive thru.

I do 99% of my banking online, hit the ATM maybe once a month and can deposit most checks online if needed.

My wife retired as a credit union manager for a Teamsters Local in Mass 7 years ago, didn't know what to do with going full time to SC. I told her I was staying with mine she switched over and to this day we have no problems. 

I love my credit union