Looking for a new bank, recommendations?

Rate this topic

NJTramcar

Been with our bank for 20 years.  In October we refinanced a loan and realized a few months ago it didn't go through.  Go to the bank and the bank agrees THEY DID NOT SUBMIT refinance paperwork.  I have a copy of the agreement that they were to submit to corporate.

Just got off the phone and the bank says there is nothing they will do as there is no proof that the paperwork wasn't faxed to corporate.  THAT'S THE PROBLEM, the bank didn't submit it. 

Anyway, the bank refuses to do anything.  I would like to leave the bank and go to another bank and bring the loan to the new bank.  Done with this other bank.

Any recommendations?  I am located in New Jersey and would like a bank with ATMs here but with online banking, am open to anything.

Something is off on your end.

You just can’t go to the bank and say I want to refi, and walk out the door

While your mortgage person dropped the ball on the paperwork, you failed to follow up and ask when is the closing date.

This is when you have to sign a mountain of paperwork with your banker.

If you followed up in short time the paper work could have been re submitted and you would have gotten your re fi in a timely fashion.

1 hour ago, LowEnd said:

Something is off on your end.

You just can’t go to the bank and say I want to refi, and walk out the door

While your mortgage person dropped the ball on the paperwork, you failed to follow up and ask when is the closing date.

This is when you have to sign a mountain of paperwork with your banker.

If you followed up in short time the paper work could have been re submitted and you would have gotten your re fi in a timely fashion.

I disagree with your remark something is off on my end.

We had a closing..  We signed the mountain of paperwork.  I have a copy here.  It was closing and we had our calendar invite from the bank telling us when closing was.

Even the mortgage officer there now says the bank dropped the ball and she sees it.  It's the corporate office that won't help.

I was a bank attorney for many years, and saw how a lot of different banks operate.

Not sure what banks you have in New Jersey, but I can tell you to avoid Chase--their business model is to wring fees out of you every chance that they gat--I worked for them, or their predecessors (Manufacturers Hanover, Chemical Bank) for almost 20 years, and would never have a banking relationship with them, even though I would get special employee privileges, because they were that bad.

Valley National is another minimum service organization.

Wells Fargo also tries to get fees out of you for things that used to be considered routine services.

Capital One is decent.  Not perfect, but decent.

Usually, your best bet is to bank with a savings and loan, credit union, or small local banki, because they depend on smaller accounts to survive, and thus provide better service, while the Chases of the world don't really want small accounts because of the cost of administering them, which is why they're so fee driven

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

18 hours ago, lobsterdust said:

Try a credit union. The banksters are refusing to loan money to people with great credit because "reasons." You know, like there's a communist sympathizer in the White House and tons of them in the Congress. 

So now the WH has control over private banks, delusional fool. Maybe his credit is ****, or maybe they won’t finance what he wants. 

On 7/25/2021 at 8:19 AM, littletunnie said:

So now the WH has control over private banks, delusional fool. Maybe his credit is ****, or maybe they won’t finance what he wants. 

That's been the case since 1933, when FDR declared a "bank holiday" to prevent such private banks from failing (as many already had) when people began withdrawing deposits at rates that exceeded the banks' reserves.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

On 7/24/2021 at 1:40 PM, NJTramcar said:

Been with our bank for 20 years.  In October we refinanced a loan and realized a few months ago it didn't go through.  Go to the bank and the bank agrees THEY DID NOT SUBMIT refinance paperwork.  I have a copy of the agreement that they were to submit to corporate.

Just got off the phone and the bank says there is nothing they will do as there is no proof that the paperwork wasn't faxed to corporate.  THAT'S THE PROBLEM, the bank didn't submit it. 

Anyway, the bank refuses to do anything.  I would like to leave the bank and go to another bank and bring the loan to the new bank.  Done with this other bank.

Any recommendations?  I am located in New Jersey and would like a bank with ATMs here but with online banking, am open to anything.

That's f-ed up.  Not surprising though...with all the stupid people running around today.