EricDice

Stradic FL 5k tough match for a rod

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

First, lemme apologize for creating another “what rod” thread. ;-) Tavernites tremble at the thought. But I’m in need of group advice. 

I found a mint used 5k FL for a price I couldn’t refuse. It arrived and I am (stupidly) surprised to feel just how lightweight it really is. It’s not a great fit for my 9’ Shimano surf rod despite the rod being very lightweight itself. 

Should I look for an 8-8.5’ rod? I would like to stretch the budget for one more purchase this year and get an ODM DNA 8 footer or the budget friendly 8.5 Trophy II. 

I don’t really wanna go shorter than that - defeats the purpose of the 5k versus a 3k which I was considering previously. 

What say you?

Or should I stop whining and use the rod I have?

I could probably add some lead to the butt end to help the balance. 

And WTH kind of rod do people pair to a Vanford 5k given it’s 2.5-3 OZ lighter than the Stradic FL 5k?

FWIW, Mine lives very happily on rods ranging from 7' to 8.5'.   Great fit for triumph 7'Medium inshore, 7'6 redbone med, 7'6 star stellar lite surf, and an 8.5' daiwa steelhead rod, rated XF & Med heavy.  

I dont happen to use it on my 9' tica dolphin rated 2-6, but I dont see why it would be great on their slightly lighter ranged 1-4.  

Great reel, especially if you got a great price. 

I use mine on a Star stella 7'6" light surf rod for beach flounder fishing. Rod is great, Reel maybe to fast for flounder. But it works.

I have one that currently lives on a 9’ Medium Daiwa Saltist light action surf rod, and it feels like a great match for that rod. It also feels good on my smaller 7’ MH inshore travel rod. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, EricDice said:

Or should I stop whining and use the rod I have?

I use a Sustain 5000 on an 11' 3/4 - 3oz and a 10' 1/2-2oz. Works beautifully. Try it before you dismiss it as being too small.

4000's are popular in Europe and the Far East on rods similar to J&H's Dark Matter OB.

?

What 9' Shimmie do you have?

Edited by ZAFisher

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

I use a Sustain 5000 on an 11' 3/4 - 3oz and a 10' 1/2-2oz. Works beautifully. Try it before you dismiss it as being too small.

4000's are popular in Europe and the Far East on rods similar to J&H's Dark Matter OB.

?

What 9' Shimmie do you have?

Speedmaster 9’ .5 - 3 ounce. On which I currently already have a bit too light Nasci 5k. Really the first nice light rod with k guides and slim rubber grips I ever bought.  But yeah, I hear you. 

Maybe I’m just looking for an excuse to splurge for another stick. 

I was thinking shorter. Still, the 10 1/2 - 2 kinda option sounds so intriguing. Black hole and tsunami both have similar offerings. 

If it were me I would just pair it up with your 9' for now and see how it does.  You already own it so where's the harm?  It's not as if it will not fish lol.

I have no issue matching up rod reels I already have.  I have a stradic FL 3k normalky paired to a Star VPR 7"6' MHF Inshore.  But I wanted a rod  to use with the 3k on the beach and the VPR could not handle the weight or get me the range I needed.  I did have a used 9" Tica I picked up..  It specd to what I needed for lure and cast distance.  I paired them up.  Worked great and still use it that way when I need it.   Even in bass fishing I think the whole balance thing is over blown.  But surf fishing for me at least I do not need the pinpoint cast accuracy but do need longer range and rating.  At least for me I do not have near the casting per time rep or vol surf vs LMB.  I just do not find balance to be a big factor.  

To me it's more about do the specs of the reel  and the rod work for what type of fishing and target fish your after.

Edited by RiverShoulders

1 hour ago, hunter123 said:

Reel maybe to fast for flounder.

Yeah, Interesting you say that.  I found that I have to adjust my pace/technique a little if I use either a 712z or the stradic when compared to the various pfluegers, battles, and tsunami reels that live on our other fluke rods.  Its not a big deal, but interesting that its noticeable.  712 adjusted obviously in the opposite direciton.  

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

Yeah, Interesting you say that.  I found that I have to adjust my pace/technique a little if I use either a 712z or the stradic when compared to the various pfluegers, battles, and tsunami reels that live on our other fluke rods.  Its not a big deal, but interesting that its noticeable.  712 adjusted obviously in the opposite direciton.  

I will sometimes swap to a different handle length to adjust for a good retrieve rate to handle rotation speed depending on intended use.  Add a longer handle makes it way easier to decrease retrieve speed and adds more leverage to counter the higher effort of higher ratio.  I also prefer counter balanced handles for larger or double handle on smaller spinning reels.  I really like the balance and no issues with premature tripping from handle rotation momentum on cast.

Edited by RiverShoulders

2 mins ago, RiverShoulders said:

I will sometimes swap to a different handle length to adjust for a good retrieve rate to handle rotation speed depending on intended use.  Add a longer handle makes it way easier to decrease retrieve speed and adds more leverage to counter the higher effort of higher ratio.  I also prefer counter balanced handles for larger or double handle on smaller spinning reels.  I really like the balance and no issues with premature tripping from handle rotation momentum on cast.

This never even occurred to me.  physics!  Very cool.  Thank you for the info.  

1 min ago, 55555s said:

This never even occurred to me.  physics!  Very cool.  Thank you for the info.  

Some people do not like the look of double handles as they look large but I am a form follows function.  But the counter balanced handles are not nearly as noticeable visually and many even allow adj for counter balance or length.

I have them on my Stradic 3k and 1k for SW and will be trying them on the 5k Ceratate lt, Gosa, BG

If you have never used a spinning reel with one of these you will be shocked at how smooth it makes the rotation.  It takes away that entire momentum pumping action. 

Gomexus  handles while budget friendly are actually very well made.  But it's certainly low enough cost to try it out.  Some of the aftermarket handles are either junk or very $$$.  Gomexus is a great deal IMO.  IIRC I think Scooby Doo did a video on them.  His videos have cost me a lot of money LOL  BUT I keep telling myself he is saving me money and minimizing frustration by preventing bad purchases.  Somehow my checking account still seems to loose money. Lol

Personally I like color matching my gear.  Also matching my spools to needed line capacity shallow/deep spools.  Lots of spools interchange since Shimano started streamlining parts as they upgrade tech.  Gives lots of options depending on the models and size. Daiwa is a bit harder as they mix and match parts so much with countless lines of o arts bin creations so it takes a bit more research.

9 hours ago, EricDice said:

First, lemme apologize for creating another “what rod” thread. ;-) Tavernites tremble at the thought. But I’m in need of group advice. 

I found a mint used 5k FL for a price I couldn’t refuse. It arrived and I am (stupidly) surprised to feel just how lightweight it really is. It’s not a great fit for my 9’ Shimano surf rod despite the rod being very lightweight itself. 

Should I look for an 8-8.5’ rod? I would like to stretch the budget for one more purchase this year and get an ODM DNA 8 footer or the budget friendly 8.5 Trophy II. 

I don’t really wanna go shorter than that - defeats the purpose of the 5k versus a 3k which I was considering previously. 

What say you?

I had a Stradic on my 8ft dna loved it but was not a fan of the rod due to the two piece split but st croix avid 8ft that would be perfect for that reel