Buckscorider

Albie spinning rod for the boat?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

My buddy got a boat and I'm picturing us chasing some Abies this fall.

24 foot grady white. Not huge. Could be 3 fishing at once.

I have a 4500 slammer that I'd like to use.

So casting epoxy jigs, albie snax etc.

And I'm on a budget so the cheaper the better. But open to all suggestions! 

Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited) · Report post

St Croix makes a lot of rods in the 7-7 6” length that would fit the bill. 
Medium and medium light actions seem best IMO. 

Edited by Tailslap

^^ Those sounds right the Shimano Teramar SE is a good option too. The nice thing about the Shimanos is they are a composite blank and can take a real beating.

From what I hear the new HMG Inshores are really nice for the money.

I'm kind of torn on getting one myself but I really don't need any more rods right now.

Edited by Skunkoff

I bought the ODM DNA 8' for this very reason. It's technically a surf rod, but serves this purpose well. They also do a 7'6" that I'm sure would work very well. 

For a little more budget friendly option, the jigging world nexus can do pretty much anything well. 

I wouldn't go lighter than Med and also go with 7 fter.  Those fish are strong and at the boat will dive and you need backbone in the rod.  They will break a rod if it is too light.  You also don't want to spend 15 minutes or more fighting the fish with a light rod.

7 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

From what I hear the new HMG Inshores are really nice for the money.

I'm kind of torn on getting one myself but I really don't need any more rods right now.

Whipping with Joe YouTube channel uses the fenwick inshore spinning rods. He said the new 7.5 footer has an unusually large reel seat that won’t accept smaller reel foot. 

Thanks for the input.

So get something rated to 2oz?

I think the heaviest epoxy jigs I have is 2oz.

You are going to be throwing light stuff,these fish are on the surface feeding on bay anchovies and other small bait. No need for anything 2ozs. Albies snax and super flukes and Z-man jerk shads(rigged texas style) will get the job done and they weigh next to nothing.

St.Croix triump was my albie rod off the beach for years. Throws 1/2 oz perfectly.

all good advice above, especially about toughness over finesse. in FL out ablies are bigger than up north and we have bull sharks to worry about. being able to horse the fish in is necessary at times so serious backbone is called for. but at the same time, being able to throw 3/4-1.5 ounce lures or plugs is necessary. 

my favorite rod for this is a Hanta Hybrid 70S which is a 7' spinner rated for 20# of drag, 10-40 line and jig weights to 200g. they call it a hybrid because it can serve for both throwing lures and jigging and i have used it for both. the 200g is meant as a jigging limit but the rod can easily throw lures up to 2oz. very light rod at under 7 ounces but it is not cheap, around $280 shipped. that said, my largest albie with it went close to 20 pounds a couple months ago and largest fish was a 30+ amberjack taken while jigging a wreck. you can check it out at hantarodsandlures dot com. 

I would go with a 7 foot Star.  Great rods for the money.  

When I went on a Albie charter that is what he had.  Light but tough rods.   

I have a st.croix triumph that’s more moderate action and a gloomis e6x that’s extra fast, and I find myself grabbing the loomis 8/10 times because the faster tip allows me cast and work light epoxy jigs and soft plastics much easier. 

Edited by liambrouillette

For albies I’ve been using the Star Seagis 7’6” 10-20 lb for many years. It’s a fast rod with tons of backbone, perfect for throwing small plugs, metals, epoxies, and soft plastics. Light as a feather too.