nfnDrum

9ft spinnier vs 6'8"ft baitcaster

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I decided to fish the lake and compare my 9ft Suzuki rod 3000 reel 20# and my 6'8" jig/worm rod 150 baitcaster 30# braid. Using the same creature bait I got roughly the same distance the 9ft may have edged out the bait caster a hair.  The bait caster took a solid cast to get it where i wanted it, the spinner was allot more forgiving. The baits weight and areo dynamics seems to be the bigger factor in determining distance. I plan to play some more. I really want to test an 8'3" with the same rating as the 9ft spinner.

A 6'8" rod doing dam near what the 9ftr can do says allot. Although the 9ftr has a much higher lure rating so the heavies will gainmore distance.  i really want to try plugging with a bait caster.

Edited by nfnDrum

I probably haven’t invested enough time in mastering the bait casting reels, but casting something that doesn’t fly very well in the wind was a real torture for me.

A lot less resistance with the line coming off the baitcaster than the spinner. Try that with two spinners and the longer rod should cast a lot farther than the shorter rod. 

23 hours ago, hobobob said:

I bet my 5ft ultralight rod can throw a 1/16oz Jighead further than both of your rods.

with or without line attached? How much you betting? 

Edited by nfnDrum

In most simple terms.. Some/ most baits are distance capped...within 5-10 % of an easy vs hard cast.... 

I got a chuckle out of comment section experts that claim my distance numbers are usuless because I don't know how to cast, only fish rivers... And don't know how to cast hard.. Then they tell me they can throw a vision 110 with no brakes on 80 yards... At that point I walk away.... 

31 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

In most simple terms.. Some/ most baits are distance capped...within 5-10 % of an easy vs hard cast.... 

I got a chuckle out of comment section experts that claim my distance numbers are usuless because I don't know how to cast, only fish rivers... And don't know how to cast hard.. Then they tell me they can throw a vision 110 with no brakes on 80 yards... At that point I walk away.... 

I didn't realize how much i sucked at casting until I compared my numbers to others on the internet. 

Edited by nfnDrum

I use baitcasters a lot and the biggest downside of fishing them in or near the surf, is the wind. Try casting straight into a 5-15mph wind and the spinning setup wins all day. Like any tool, it has it's place. A spinning reel can also throw a diamond jig 1 cast then a Bomber 16A next just fine. Little trickier to dial in a baitcaster with such different weighted and density lures.