Southcoastphil

Cloud Patterns on Plugs (Blue or otherwise)--Anyone Using them?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone using them, in blue or other colors?   

AS IMITATIONS FOR SOME PREY SPECIES:

Pinks and tans have been used in "sorta-cloud" patterns for years on needles and darters to imitate squid.  Have you tried that?  Results, good or bad, to share?

Why wouldn't that pattern approach work well in yellow or gold, both of which would seem to be effective when imitating bunker?  (Can anyone else envision swimming a Gold Cloud peanut plug in a month or so?)

Why not use tans, browns, or charcoals to imitate resident prey species like tautog or black sea bass, etc.?  (Although there are a number of more detailed patterns out there for these species, might the simpler cloud pattern also work well?)  

TO MINIMIZE ROLLING IN METAL LIP PLUGS:

Whether roll is a positive or negative, important or unimportant plug characteristic is being discussed in other threads, so let's not worry it at all here.

The fact remains that some builders minimize the appearance of the roll common to some plugs (esp. Dannies and A40s) by eliminating eyes and using colors that are essentially uniform from top to bottom, such as red (or blue, black, etc.) heads on white or yellow bodies, minor vertical contrast (blurple, yellow/white, etc.), in addition to the obvious all-one-color approach. 

Might cloud patterns (esp. blind ones) suggest motion while not appearing to roll much?

HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE:

Light-, Medium- and Dark-Blue Cloud patterns (or "Medium Blue Sky / White Cloud Swirl", to use Bazzdozer's nomenclature) were a somewhat common Pichney pattern, both blind and with eyes, as you can see in the Danny images that Russ posted on his Pichney Collection page ("7 1/2" Surface Swimmer Sr." he labeled them).

Light Blue Cloud:

60fb2a76def18_BlueCloud_Light_PichneyDannySenior.jpg.aa51885f941ff431780d98aa6c2816fb.jpg

Medium Blue Cloud:

60fb2a77d510a_BlueCloud_Medium_PichneyDannySenior.jpg.5efece6a19d5b987a68420367fc6adaa.jpg

Dark Blue Cloud

60fb2a762829c_BlueCloud_Dark_PichneyDannySenior.jpg.34c8c7959e02b88118ea856ecd3320e6.jpg

And here's a 6" Lupo Blue Cloud Troller:

60fb2a7a75bb3_BlueCloudandMulletLupoTrollers.jpg.76e05d08d3349029bb5cc411154744d8.jpg

(I don't recall ever seeing a Pichney Troller, of any size, in Blue Cloud.)

Atom Mfg. Co. did it decades ago on their A40s with their swirls of various blues + white:

60fb2a78ab1d7_AtomBlueSwirl1.jpg.c9848700503fccbdc9cead2c9e8ff1de.jpg

(I seem to recall seeing at least one Red Swirl A40 at some point, but I'm not positive.  Can any of you savvy guys chime in regard these plugs in other swirl colors?)

At least one currently-active builder has used blue cloud, as I was reminded today when I saw a post in the BST for Surf Asylum blue cloud plugs (@Dookiespop, I hope you don't mind that I appropriated one of your pics for this post).

60fb2a7542757_BlueCloudSA1.jpg.be0544239eea80841581bfc796b11576.jpg

Looking forward to your comments.

Edited by Southcoastphil

Atom MFG did make a red swirl.  I don’t think they referred to any of they’re colors as “cloud”.  

Hab-A-Tat A-40’s came in a various arrangement of swirl/cloud patterns.  

70C12A18-E465-43E1-A819-E0B619E5F96D.jpeg.711eff3d710f399fc99d4ec0985a1195.jpeg

Photo of the Barber Pole/Candy Cane

I have one that I like to refer to as the candy cane.  I haven’t fished it but it’s something very unique that I haven’t seen anyone else do.  I’m thinking Tube N Worm when I look at it.  Oscillating rolling motion, or maybe the illusion of it.  Could the fact the water disturbance and the look of the motion not line up have an affect?  

When a fish looks and feels a Tube N Worm, the vibrations are lined up with the motion it’s providing.   Probably only a factor that would be considered in daytime fishing, or full moon nights with lots of ambient light.

More examples of “Swirl” patterns from Habs.

260BDCA6-974E-4F0F-9BEE-39A154B5AA02.jpeg.e64e3d0ae8bacaa911c91498b36366a4.jpeg
The orange swirl was commonly referred to as Sea Robin.

1A29487E-BAE7-4E44-B3CB-2107269160C8.jpeg.a1a0d4963b3d756b8eec3a58fea86c1c.jpeg74357987-F847-4039-972E-3FDD4CA7D8A8.jpeg.01f76c33e20770ac1c8b434b0efe50b8.jpegB67A879D-B2AC-4F99-81F7-8CCF03ECB4E0.jpeg.ae145e6133f0b9b3c1b9e0748caebde8.jpeg

Blue Cloud Lordship Agitator 

04B9B505-A548-49BA-81DD-EA8D22C2F23E.jpeg.e5ec68f4e4a900154990b0e0356d94d6.jpeg

Edited by t_man7

Here is a cloud Danny Jr Conrad

Pictures from Nick Bocchino - Sevenstripes

It looks to be the Medium cloud, or maybe even darker.  Although lighting is on the dark side.

DE7A49CD-A82F-46BE-BE99-193BFD5043FF.jpeg

E7895D15-ABFF-4526-91A5-46BA9FC05E8A.jpeg

Edited by t_man7

Friend of mine swears by blue cloud in fresh and salt for stripers. I've had good success with various swirl patterns. Fishing rhody years ago on and unnamed location, right at sundown mullet started running the beach, in close. As soon as it got dark, stripers were on them. Four or five nights in a row. Best producer was one of my jig30's (6 inch atom 40 type plug) in gold swirl. Out fished the other swirl colors in my bag. Down here, chartreuse swirl is my go-to at the tailwaters.pencils, spooks, gliders, even bomber type plugs.

7 mins ago, Jig Man said:

Friend of mine swears by blue cloud in fresh and salt for stripers. I've had good success with various swirl patterns. Fishing rhody years ago on and unnamed location, right at sundown mullet started running the beach, in close. As soon as it got dark, stripers were on them. Four or five nights in a row. Best producer was one of my jig30's (6 inch atom 40 type plug) in gold swirl. Out fished the other swirl colors in my bag. Down here, chartreuse swirl is my go-to at the tailwaters.pencils, spooks, gliders, even bomber type plugs.

hey there, mate! 

Thanks for chiming in.  Gold, huh?  Gosh, for mullet I'd have bet on blue, steel blue or gray as the dominant color.  (And some folks say that color doesn't matter!)  

I'd love to see what that swirl pattern looks like.  Any pics to share?

4 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

hey there, mate! 

Thanks for chiming in.  Gold, huh?  Gosh, for mullet I'd have bet on blue, steel blue or gray as the dominant color.  (And some folks say that color doesn't matter!)  

I'd love to see what that swirl pattern looks like.  Any pics to share?

yeah, i would have thought other colors too. Bottom is the gold swirl. i can dig it up next time im in the cave if you want a better photo. Pretty much like the others, but with the gold swirled over the white.

jm-swirl.jpg

20 hours ago, Jig Man said:

yeah, i would have thought other colors too. Bottom is the gold swirl. i can dig it up next time im in the cave if you want a better photo. Pretty much like the others, but with the gold swirled over the white.

jm-swirl.jpg

To your point about successfully using gold swirl at sundown for imitating mullet, I just saw a pertinent article by William Muller in OTW called "Striper Gold" and its effectiveness at dawn or dusk:

" ... A similar thing happens during mega-golden dawns and dusks. The amount of gold in the sky, the light reflecting off cloud bottoms and the golden rays of the peek-a-boo sun stains the white water gold. The fish, I believe, become riveted to the color and see nothing else. There’s no magic here, but gold lures simply allow an angler to make presentations that are consistent with a special set of conditions."

On 7/24/2021 at 2:53 PM, Jig Man said:

Down here, chartreuse swirl is my go-to at the tailwaters.pencils, spooks, gliders, even bomber type plugs.

Is that a yellow chartreuse or a green chartreuse?

chartreuse.jpg.ef9e45a9e45cdd2b66d57a620e1259f0.jpg

5 hours ago, jhndoe said:

Adam poppers had  a  blue and white pattern. Never thought of it as cloud.  It’s an Old pattern

Agreed.  I don't know anyone who considers Atom's "Blue Silver" to be a cloud pattern.  

FYI, the Striper Swiper was first produce in 1956, according to Acme Tackle's site.

60fdc0a86dd0a_AtomStriperSwiper.jpg.b73e3a18593783529e3c6efe7a00f770.jpg

Interesting on the gold. I think laplew shows something similar in one of his videos.

Yellow chartreuse. Believe that is a color that stripers see well.